1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Pain worse in morning?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Paigeee, May 14, 2018.

1. Paigeee

Paigeee Peer Supporter

Does anyone else have there pain come back in the morning upon waking up? Not always, but often my pain will be decreased when I go to bed but it will be back to being pretty intense by the morning. I have a feeling this is because subconscious negative thinking while I'm asleep, thus making the pain worse when I get up.

Saffron likes this.
  2. Summergirl

Summergirl Newcomer

Pain wakes me every morning. It may be due to cortisol, which your body produces and is highest in the morning. Also, cortisol is generated by stressful situations through the day. It decreases at bedtime, so I typically have less pain at that time. Can not prove that it is cortisol but it looks that way.

3. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Cortisol is the reason why this has happened to me! A normal cortisol level is typically below a 5 in the morning; mine was shown to be 17 on a day where I actually felt less anxious than usual, ha.

Nzombro likes this.
  4. Summergirl

Summergirl Newcomer

Could you please share how you got the cortisol test? Through a doctor or on-line yourself? Once I had a cortisol test from a doctor where I sent in saliva samples to a testing company. Secondly, did you try to lower your cortisol level? What did you take/do? I would love to know because just being calm isn’t enough, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2019
  5. Dorado

Yes, I’m very happy to answer any questions on this topic! My doctor used Sanesco’s neurotransmitter (urine) and cortisol (salvia) testing.

My doctor recommended a natural supplement that can reduce/balance cortisol and help with anxiety as well as better overall brain function: Phosphatidylserine. I like it because it’s non-addictive and won’t cause withdrawal.

Great and very detailed information on Phosphatidylserine: https://www.invitehealth.com/article-phosphatidylserine-a-superhero-for-your-brain.html (Phosphatidylserine Supplements: A Superhero for Your Brain) (Phosphatidylserine: A Superhero for Your Brain)

Specific information related to Phosphatidylserine’s ability to balance cortisol:
    A. https://www.livestrong.com/article/498027-phosphatidylserine-cortisol/ (Phosphatidylserine & Cortisol) (Phosphatidylserine & Cortisol)
    B. http://www.allstarhealth.com/blog/m...dylserine-supplements-reduce-cortisol-levels/ (Phosphatidylserine Supplements Reduce Cortisol Levels | All Star Health Blog)

I’m also engaging in meditation, breathing exercises, more consistent healthy eating, gentle walking and yoga, extra snuggles with my cat (it's amazing how animals can relax us), etc.

Ultimately, I don't pay attention to the people who completely restrict their lives in every single way to rebalance their cortisol levels. I've seen some individuals who absolutely freak out if they have a bite of chocolate - that's not me, and I think that stressful attitude only leads to worse cortisol. I started feeling even better when I allowed myself to live a little! Moderation is key, as they always say. Besides, I'm of the opinion that this whole "adrenal fatigue"/overly high or low cortisol trend is nothing more than TMS, and obsessing is never good for a TMSer.

I fully agree that elevated cortisol can make it difficult to be calm, so taking a true mind-body approach where I address both my physical and emotional needs is very helpful.

6. untangledweb

untangledweb Peer Supporter

7. Dorado

CBD is better in higher quantities!

8. untangledweb

untangledweb Peer Supporter

Sounds like a good idea