1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pain while sleeping?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by gypsysoul, Jul 21, 2014.

1. gypsysoul

gypsysoul New Member

Ok so I am a classic TMS'r and have been studying TMS for about 2 years. Something that puzzles me is what the root cause of pain while sleeping would be. I have noticed several times that I will have back aches in my dreams or upon waking will have no pain but remember that I had a restless night and pain while I was asleep. Also curious is when I finally can sit down during the day (stay at home mom of two wonderful little people) and rest or attempt to nap, my feet will hurt so so badly! Sometimes too it's my hands. Feet and hands are fine when I am walking around or carrying one or both kids so I know it's not structural. Any ideas?

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

When you finally set for a break is when your tms kicks in. It's that simple really, all you got to do is don't focus or fear the pain -- go about the rest of your day as normal as you can with as little focus or attention you can toward your hands or feet. I had some pain come up in my left foot a few weeks ago while walking and it only was there when I walked, I knew it was just a mirage and I ignored it for about two weeks and now it's gone.
    Long after we defeat the tms we will still have symptoms pop up here and there just like we did before we ever knew it was tms. We ignored it back in the day and it went away, so we ignore it now.
    Focusing on your emotions that might not be in balance would be the solution to your pain while asleep. We all have stressors that will always set us out of balance if we don't some how make peace with those stressors. That's all you have to do, acknowledge what might be giving you tension and make peace with it in the now, use mindfulness and meditations to calm down your sympathetic nervous system. When you are calm and at peace such as we are while doing mindfulness -- this will soothe the autonomic nervous system and stop your symptoms.
    Bless you

3. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

4. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

Be comforted in knowing that you are not alone in experiencing this. I have my own theory that when our conscious mind has checked out for the night we might be more vulnerable to what I call "attacks." Everything seems worse in the dark at night. Perhaps that is left over from our childhood. Herbie is right when saying that it comes from the sympathetic nervous system. On nights when the pain is at its worse, I sometimes jump up suddenly out of a sound sleep. I believe that is called the "startle reflex." To me, it is a frightening and unpredictable moment far out of my control therefore I would associate it with anxiety. One might ask how I could be anxious while asleep? Therefore I suppose I could attribute it to underlying fears in the unconscious mind.
    Just thinking.

5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

To expand a little further, If we are out of balance while being awake, well while we are sleeping our systems will still give us pain. We often err and think that while asleep we are totally fine from tension but were not.
    See if you have had tms in the past you know that while you slept then you had no relief so why would it be any different now if you're out of balance while awake now, you still carry it to bed with you ya know, hence the reason for mindfulness meditations and paying attention to what is causing you stress and tension while awake so you can come to peace with it.
    Thanks Lavender for your post and thank you gypsysoul.
    Any further questions will be fine.
    Bless you

6. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi gypsysoul,

Here's a link to a thread with a discussion about waking up with pain that you might find relevant. Though you state your pain is gone when you awake, it appears that you are having it while sleeping, which is similar to some of us in the following discussion.

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/pain-upon-waking.2272/