1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Alex B. Pain while driving

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by levfin003, Apr 29, 2015.

1. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hi,

I sufferered from severe neck pain for two years before I found out about TMS. It was clear from that TMS was the culprit behind my pain (hopefully I will write my success story here soon).

I have been almost pain free since accepting the diagnosis. I am now able to do things which I was scared of doing earlier except that I still get bad pain when I drive. I am still baffled why I get such horrible pain on driving, and wanted some advice on how to get back to driving.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2015
  2. Alex Bloom LCSW

Alex Bloom LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Hi, thanks for the question!

This is a very common occurrence, what you’re dealing with is called a conditioned response. Your association between a specific situation (driving) and pain is so strong that it actually generates symptoms.

To understand this mechanism we have to look at some of the underlying aspects of TMS: it exists to fulfill a purpose, it has a role. TMS pain is about keeping you distracted, preoccupied and powerless. In order to be effective, this pain attacks you where you are vulnerable and where you are least likely to question it. Because you so strongly associate driving and pain, when the pain comes up, you are expecting it. It’s like your opening the door for it, saying to yourself that it makes sense and that you won’t question it. In fact this actually reinforces the pain as it is fulfilling its purpose perfectly.

This is why it is so important to question these conditioned responses, to see them as what they are. If the issue was structural, it wouldn’t affect you in this very specific way, and that can actually be turned into a positive piece of evidence that can work in your favor.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Driving a car can be one of the most stressful things we do.
    I believe a lot of that is from how crazy many others are who drive today.
    They are multitasking with music, hand-held gadgets, and thinking about themselves.

I had to give up riding a bicycle because so many motorists nearly ran me down,
    and almost no one uses the car's turning signals,

One motorist nearly ran me and my dog down when he turned a corner and came
    right at me while I was walking. I yelled at him afterward and he stopped.
    I asked him if he saw me and my dog and he said he did, but thought he would drive
    around us. Hell no, he came right at us. I noticed he was about 70 or 80 years old.
    There comes a time when seniors should stop driving and give up the car.

I'm thinking of doing just that.

I drive only when I absolutely must. Driving used to be enjoyable. Not any more.

4. cax

cax New Member

Below is one of the educational materials I received my traditional doctors, which helped reinforce that sitting is "bad".

Now, I have been trying to unlearn the things doctors have been telling me over the years.
    sitting.jpg

Markus likes this.