1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Pain triggered by sleeping?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by efini, Sep 7, 2014.

1. efini

efini New Member

Hi there,

I suffer from pain in my left leg/hip area. It originally started from standing too much in a retail job. I have since quit that job a few months ago.

The pain can last anything from 2-7 days i.e. it's constant. Then I will find it gets better one day, but then once I wake up the next day it's hurting again! I have tried sleeping on different beds and in different positions, but it doesn't make any difference. It's just a bit of a nightmare, as if I am pain free one day, then I guarantee it will hurt as soon as I wake up the next day.

I did initially think I was sleeping wrong, in a physical sense, but I am starting to doubt that.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or think it's TMS related? Part of me is thinking that I have some sort of unresolved issue (mental not physical). I am starting to think maybe it's my brains way of saying "look you need to deal with something and I will keep giving you pain from as soon as you wake up", so you take notice and sort things out.

By the way I'm in my ealry 30's male, and had this pain for about a year. I have been to the doctors but they can't find anything wrong with me.

I know TMS can come from rage or anger. Looking back at my last couple of relationships, they gave me quite a lot of rage and rage, which mostly I didn't express at the time. Not sure if that has to do with anything.

If anyone else has experienced something similar or has any advice please do let me know. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Efini. Your doctors couldn't find anything wrong with you, so it must be TMS.

You've done some TMS thinking which is good... you know that you have anger or rage inside you because of
    some past relationships. That sounds to me like repressing it has a lot to do with your leg and hip pain.
    The subconscious puts pain where it can do its worst, and the reason is to get you to bring that repressed anger/rage
    to the surface and deal with it.

You may have to take long looks at those relationships and find ways to forgive. Forgiving sets us free.
    You were only human and so where those others you feel angry about.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  3. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Hi efini... First off, I'm sorry that you have to experience this pain. It is never fun to have something undiagnosed and confusing going on. I haven't been over to the SEP page, but I"m wondering if you've started that program. It will give you a structure to unlock the things that may be stirring it up. You're asking the right questions and you seem to willing to do what it takes... so that means you're halfway there to the healing road!!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  4. efini

efini New Member

Thanks for your replies. I have only just realised that deep down I am still angry at one of my ex girlfriends, and that was over 3 years ago! At the end of that relationship I was quite angry with her. I have realised that it's better to accept and forgive than carry rage for years. I also do this stupid thing where I get really angry with someone then don't tell them, and try and get back at them in the future, which clearly isn't healthy!

I had a look at the SEP page, but it looks like it's in the process of being updated. I don't really want to start something when it could change halfway through. Plus I really don't know if I can think my pain is 100% mental not physical. That kind of sounds like the key.

5. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Hi efini, Thanks for letting me know that SEP is being updated. I didn't realize it. The suggestion to look into http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/TMS_Recovery_Program is a good one, if you're into exploring what TMS is. I agree that its difficult to grasp that the pain is mental not physical when the physical is happening!! It has been a long process of acceptance for me and only when I started experiencing the lifting of pain at completely weird times that I could trust I was on the right path. Most of all, I wish you recovery from whatever it is causing the pain!!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.