1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pain Pattern Advice

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Huckleberry, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

Sorry to be 'that man' and for posting again but wanted some input. Yep, I know I'm just reassurance seeking and hoping to find somebody with the exact same symptoms/pain pattern but hey, just humour me.

I am somewhat bemused by my latest flare of pain. Whilst my pain level has been a constant small hardly noticeable back burner thing for about the last 6 weeks or so I woke on Wednesday to a really really bad flare of pain, this was pretty much out of the blue but i should state this was on the 2nd anniversary of my mums death. This pain was really bad Wednesday and yesterday but could feel it easing off this morning until now it is pretty much gone right back to the 'default' back burner niggle that is always there...my stiffness is still there and that is always always there but weirdly the stiffness isn't quite so bad during a flare. These flares have struck me about 4 times in the last 12 month and always seem to strike suddenly, hang around for 2 to 4 days then almost like melt away back to the normal back burner discomfort.

I'm wondering if this is a typical TMS pain pattern? I do sort of struggle to see how it fits with a structural explanation but I suppose I think it could be that soft tissue is getting inflamed and then resolves itself but then again why this would happen and why it would switch off so quickly seems strange. What I don't understand though and this is a biggie for me is that if it was TMS and if it wanted to distract me why does it ramp up and then let me off the hook and die down after a couple of days? Surely if it wants to distract me it would just give me that pain all the while?

Any advice gratefully received. I suppose I'm just wondering if this pain pattern does make a structural issue less likely. Oh, as an aside I have read Sarno's books but have just downloaded the audio versions onto my phone with the intention of listening to them as much as possible...is this a sensible thing to do or is it just TMSing about TMS really?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Huckleberry. I think your pain comes and goes because you still do not believe it is 100 percent from TMS repressed emotions.
    Dr. Sarno, Steve Ozanich, and others say your belief in TMS has to be 100 percent.

Also, your subconscious may still be unconvinced that you have resolved your repressed emotions regarding your mother.

This is just me thinking. I'm not a doctor or a shrink.

I hope you can stop all structural thinking.