1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Pain, numbness, and weakness in hand/forearm

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by fred75, Mar 28, 2017.

1. fred75

fred75 Newcomer

Hello,

My brother Jason has been experiencing extreme pain, numbness, and weakness in his left hand and forearm, to the point where it is difficult for him to carry anything with that hand. This is a terrible problem for him as he is a musician (guitar) and also works with his hands. He's been to a traditional doctor (not sure if was orthopedist or neurologist) and was diagnosed with bulging disc between C7-T1 pressing on the ulnar nerve root. He is planning on probably getting surgery.

Has anyone else received a similar diagnosis and applied the TMS approach? I'm trying to find evidence to help convince him to consider TMS.

Jason is under considerable pressure and has many of the usual triggers for TMS. Personally, I have found great relief for my own symptoms by applying TMS methods in the past, as has another close relative of ours. Because of this, I think he is a potential candidate for the TMS approach. However, he remains skeptical despite having read some chapters in the MindBody prescription.

Any other advice on how to help him explore a possible TMS diagnosis? Can't seem to find a doctor in the TMS directory who is close to him. Many thanks in advance!

2. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

Yep i had same thing, mine is completely gone. I had narrowing of some cervical canal on my MRI, cant remember which one but it doesnt really matter, that is not the cause of this in most cases once you have been checked for anything seriously wrong. Carpal tunnel and ulnar nerve compression is a big fear epidemic that is spreading like wild fire today. People really believe that just typing or playing some instrument can cause this. They had people back 40 years ago doing repetitive work that is a lot more strenuous and never had problems like today. When your brain needs a diversion it will find one, goodluck.

Ryan

3. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Fred,

Yes these symptoms are extremely typical of TMS and I would highly caution against getting a surgical consult. If there are no TMS doctors near you, think about video calling with Howard Schubiner or one of the other doctors that do online calls. It is rare that a non-traumatic spinal issue like a bulging disc would be the true culprit and much more likely to be TMS. Start there...but also remember that one must be open to the idea of TMS, it can't be forced. If he is resistant he may not be ready to use this approach. Heres the link to practitioners: http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist#Physicians_-_available_via_internet_or_telephone (Find a TMS Doctor or Therapist)

4. fred75

fred75 Newcomer

Thank you very much Ryan and MindBodyPt! Greatly appreciate you sharing your advice and experience.

5. healingfromchronicpain

healingfromchronicpain Well known member

I'm someone who didn't know about Sarno or TMS when I was losing neurological function of my arm because of a ruptured disc in 2005. I was in excruciating pain for a month and then had disc replacement/bone fusion surgery at 2 levels: c5-6 & 6-7 (turns out my c5-6 disc was "herniated" and c 6-7 was "ruptured"). Note, I agree that herniated discs generally aren't the cause of pain.

Anyway, while the horrific nerve pain down my arm subsided after surgery, I continued to have debilitating neck pain (chronic myofasial pain) for years after. I've since heard of and read about people who were having neurological symptoms and healed via mindbody work. I wish I had been able to employ mindbody techniques before undergoing surgery so that maybe I wouldn't have had the surgery. However, it's hard to know if I would have been ready to accept a mindbody diagnosis when I was in such acute pain. But at least I wish I had known about all the people who have gotten out of such terrible pain that way. It may have changed my course of action.

Anyway, after 2 years of miserable pain after the surgery, I learned that my pain was psychogenic after reading John Sarno's and John Barnes' books. And that's when I finally started to heal. For me it was a combination of reading about TMS and getting mindbody myofasial release therapy that worked to help me release the emotions that were holding me hostage to pain.

And I agree, going this route has to come from one's own desire and belief that this can work. But mindbody work is so powerful and gets at the true sources of the pain, which can then allow your body to release the pain. I hope your brother comes to understand this sooner rather than later.

I seriously wish I hadn't had the surgery. It was a horrible experience for me, just another trauma I endured and have had to work through via mindbody work.

I hope your brother tries the mindbody route before surgery. From what I've researched, there really isn't good evidence that surgery is an effective means of pain relief. In my case, I believe it triggered more pain. But that was because I had underlying emotional issues festering... as do all of us with TMS. :)

I've probably babbled on for too long, but if you or your brother want to know more from my personal experience, I have a website describing my journey and all the different treatments I've tried over the years: www.healingfromchronicpain.com.

Best of luck to him!

MWsunin12 likes this.
  6. fred75

fred75 Newcomer

Thank you so much for your reply! This is extremely helpful.

7. fred75

fred75 Newcomer

One quick update: I spoke to my brother yesterday and he said it has become less of a pain issue and more of a weakness/immobility/paralysis issue that is preventing him from doing fine motor coordination with his hand.

Has anyone experienced symptoms of immobility in a muscle or joint to the point of almost feeling like paralysis, due to TMS?

Many thanks in advance.

8. Jules

Jules Well known member

Yep. Right now, I can't raise my arm over my head or behind my back; it literally won't move. Every time I force it, it hurts like hell and seizes up. I know it's tms and I have to calm my emotions and be kind to myself, even though last night I yelled at my brain to quit the distraction. I've had my chronic pain for 20 years, so it's gonna take a while for my brain to get the message. :(

Tell him to think psychologically. What doesn't want to be felt?

9. stradivarius

stradivarius Peer Supporter

Ryan, thank you for posting about your success. It is very encouraging. I have inflammation in my nerves in arms and legs and would be really interested to hear a more detailed success story about your symptoms and how you got over them, if you feel comfortable to share. Thank you.

10. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

Sure thing, I did 2 videos in this link

http://tmswiki.org/forum/threads/to-give-you-hope.12206/ (To give you hope)

jimmylaw9 likes this.