1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pain Moving and Different

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by COgirl05, Jan 13, 2016.

1. COgirl05

COgirl05 Peer Supporter

So my usual pain is gone. I have none of that. I've had a cold for a week and throughout this duration, my back pain moved from my SI joints/glutes to higher up and actually kinda radiates to my stomach. I think it's TMS but just wondering if the moving pain is a sign my brain has caught on to the TMS and it's trying to "run." I just want to be reassured, because if that's the case, I actually feel semi-empowered that this too will pass. I'm annoyed by it and a little fearful because I don't want this to be here forever. Anyone have experience with back pain moving to other areas of the back in a completely different sensation?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, COgirl. Many people have been posting that their pain moves around, as someone did today. Dr. Sarno says that's what happens when our subconscious "gets it," that we have discovered some, most of, or all the repressed emotions that it sends us. Or our perfectionist and goodist personality traits that cause our pain. Don't be fearful that the pains will last forever. They are starting to go away.

Lizzy and David88 like this.
  3. COgirl05

COgirl05 Peer Supporter

Okay good to know - so you think I'm getting to the bottom of this and I should feel more empowered by this rather than more defeated?

4. David88

David88 Well known member

Absolutely feel empowered! It's a great sign when the pain starts moving around. It means that you've been challenging the symptoms, and your unconscious is trying something else to keep the distraction going,

That the pain has moved is very strong evidence that it's TMS. Pain from a structural source doesn't do that.

You may still have some work to do understanding your repressed feelings. It sounds like your unconscious is not easily giving up its need for distraction. But you're on the right track, and now you know for sure that it's TMS.

Lizzy and Simplicity like this.
  5. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

When I first started doing the TMS work my symptoms not only intensified, old ones (vertigo, panic attacks) came back as well - it was terrible. All my symptoms has either decreased significantly or gone away completely since then. Keep at it, you're on the right path.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2016
    Lizzy and David88 like this.
  6. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

COgirl,
    I have had very few back issues, but my last backache radiated around to the front! It was odd, and was not structural, or even sore muscles.

I was talking to myself about it being something going on emotionally for about 5 days, then my daughter called and told me the happy results of a business meeting she had been very worried about 5 days before. She had talked with me about it, but it never occured to me that I was worried too, never felt any angst during those 5 days. My back stopped hurting instantly when she told me it was all ok!

This TMS is still a bit of a puzzle, but the pieces are coming together. Consider youself winning and becoming victorious!

Simplicity likes this.
  7. COgirl05

COgirl05 Peer Supporter

Thank you all so much for your responses. This has been a really rough week for me. I've discovered something huge though. I've known that I had TMS for 2 years now and I've worked through a lot of it, but the fear component and preoccupation has been difficult for me. It's getting better though. Right now, my grandma is in hospice and she's expected to pass very soon. I really had my pain very under control for weeks now and I had some symptom imperative stuff, but really I was feeling good. I also had a baby 9 weeks ago, so I have been healing from that too. Finally around the new year, I was starting to feel more like my old self. On January 2, my grandma fell and the next week, we had to make the decision of hospice for her and ever since then, the pain has slowly increased. I also caught a nasty cold, so I thought maybe some of the pain moving was from coughing or something (sneaky TMS trying to deceive me). Anyways, I went to see her the other day and I was very fearful to do so alone. I really didn't want to and I also had to thought that all this fear wouldn't be good for the back too (again that darn inner bully). When I went into the room, I had butterflies in my stomach and was feeling pretty nervous and anxious. When I got in there, the site wasn't what I expected to see nonetheless and was very traumatizing for me. Instantly, my back seized up and the spasms started. I got my 100% diagnosis of TMS. I feel like I was near a PTSD type of situation the other day, which I have calmed down, but I'm still feeling anxious about her impending passing. Right after that, I cried harder than I have in a long time and got 12 years worth of emotions out (that's when my dad died) and screamed. I had no back pain anymore - I felt uplifted and better than I had in a while when I went to bed 2 nights ago. Well ever since then, the pain has come back and is the same as before. I know what the issue is now, but I don't know how to get it to stay that way. I feel my brain trying really hard to distract me and make me scared to death of the pain. It's really trying to not get these emotions out, but I thought I had felt them already. Any thoughts?

8. David88

David88 Well known member

A thought does occur to me -- just a guess, but maybe it fits.

A new baby together with a grandmother approaching death might represent for you a major life change. You are stepping up into an older generation, so to speak. New responsibilities as a mother, and losing a grandmother who may represent wisdom and support. That's a lot of responsibility to fall on you all at once. Is it possible your inner child is feeling some resentment? That would be an easy thing to repress -- it's not something you're 'supposed' to feel. But it would be a very natural feeling.

Lizzy likes this.
  9. COgirl05

COgirl05 Peer Supporter

My pain has changed again within the lower back. This is very annoying but I feel like I'm on the right track. I think I just try to eliminate the fear and keep moving on. Is this the right way?

Lizzy likes this.