1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Pain, Mobility and Functioning...opinions please.

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Huckleberry, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

I'm well aware that TMS is a syndrome/strategy that uses pain as a distraction technique and I'm just wondering if it is just purely pain that most people seem to experience with their TMS?

As part of my attempting to recover I keep a list of all the discrepancies I find that would point away from my pain being caused by a structural issue. One of the things I frequently notice is that regardless of my pain level be it a day to day back burner level or a full on painful as hell flare I never actually suffer from any mobility or movement issues in the least...heck, I could go and run a marathon if it wasn't just for the pain.

As you may recall my pain may 'possibly' be coming from a benign neuroma that is in my back but even the traditional medical experts seem somewhat divided on this with nobody really saying yep it definitely is or isn't and it being suggested that it could well be an incidental/unrelated finding on my MRI ....bear in mind I also suffer from a barrel load of other TMS equivalents as well. Nobody is pushing surgery on me and I'm just really being monitored.

It just doesn't seem logical to me that pain can be generated by something like this and there be totally no compromise in function in any single way...my reflexes are fine, my flexibility fine, strength is fine etc etc, it just seems that when a flare up occurs from the top of my buttock, into my hip and down the side of my thigh etc just feel intensely painful...it seems to start as what I would describe as a tightening sensation as it just gets worse and worse this can last a day or a week and flares can come and go really quickly and like I say even at its worse I'm still able to move through a full range of movement etc with no worries whatsoever. It's strange as very often I feel stiff and whatever but this appears subjective as I can actually move fine and dandy...it is literally just the pain.

I'm just wondering if others experience this and see it as confirmation that their pain is likely to be from a non structural causation? I really do see it as weird as one one hand I take solace from it but then again if muscles and nerves were being starved of blood and oxygen as it the TMS thesis then surely this would cause actual objective stiffness and compromised mobility?

Thats for reading guys.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Huckleberry, it seems that you still have doubts about TMS emotions causing your pains. So long as you think this, the pain will continue.
    Dr, Sarno says, and I believe it, that MRIs may indicate structural problems but they may not cause pain, and the pain comes from our repressed emotions.
    If you could run a marathon if it wasn't just for the pain, I don's suggest a full marathon, but do some running or whatever you like, hiking, jogging. Don't put a distance goal on it, just do it and enjoy it.

3. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

Huckleberry it seems that acceptance of pain being TMS is one of our hardest hurdles. I was fortunate tonseeva Dr here in NYC and yet there was still a part of me that says please this is ridiculous! Time has shown me that yes indeed my body is reacting to stress. I can actually feel the different sensations in my body when I'm stressed. So I have become a believer. Yes for sure there is a real body mind connection.

I practice Pilates almost every day. And every so often i get a sharp remindet but i keep going!! My teacher had TMS 15 or so years ago her movements today are beautiful... She although is body biomechanicly aware believes with all her heart that YES sometimes it is indeed our mind that wreaks havoc with our body.

It's not easy but we can do it!

Warmly, Susan

4. Huckleberry

Thanks for the replies guys.

Walt. I do actually manage to exercise a fair bit...I have always been a runner but have had to curtail this hugely to a large extent due to the pain but do hike a fair amount (almost daily) when my pain isn't too bad. It is strange how hiking doesn't cause me pain but as soon as I try to run this causes me pain. I understand how this fits with the idea of conditioning.

Susan. Oh, I totally 100% believe that pain can be generated through a mind/body process but as is often the case with so many of us I struggle with believing 100% that MY pain is being caused by a mind/body process. I am well aware that I intellectualise the whole TMS process and try to box everything off when this can't always be done. It was the TMS therapist I saw who mentioned to keep the list of those things that could reinforce as to why my pain was TMS and the thing about functionality etc was just one of those things. He asked me to do this to try and convince me of the TMS diagnosis as he knows this is where I struggle.

Gigi likes this.
  5. David88

David88 Well known member

I've had back pain that falls into both categories. I've had outright back spasms that greatly restrict mobility, but more often my back just hurts, with no other symptoms, just as you describe. I have come to recognize both as TMS. My unconscious loves to create stand-alone pain -- it has done so in most of the body parts that I have at one time or another.

Gigi likes this.
  6. Susan1111

I have a client that had/ still sometimes has pain around her gluteus medius (which is the side of her buttocks) it was at one time debilating to her she went to PTs MRIs acupuncture didn't workout and long story short nothing worked but to ignore it...that has worked best. She is TMS personified!!!
    Believe!!!

7. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Ah, the insidious nature of TMS pain!! I've had years of success in banishing pains in many different locales in my body, but my unconscious is so darned sneaky that it manages to throw me a curve every once in a while! My biggest difficulty is in determining if the latest source of pain is an depression of TMS or not. At this point, I should just assume that it is!
    Hang in there, Huckleberry! We're ALL learners when it comes to TMS!

8. Huckleberry

Thanks for the replies again all.

The madness of this all. I just don't get the flare ups at all. It is truly amazing how a pain flare up can just strike out of the blue in what literally feels like a split second and then can randomly disappear just as quickly as it started with zero rhyme or reason as to why it should happen. Crazy.

9. David88

David88 Well known member

Yes, it can be maddening. But I believe that there's always a reason for a flare-up. Something triggers it.

10. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

I'm chiming in because I've been struggling badly lately with nothing but nerve pain in my low back and now it's spread to my legs. I'm scared. All my blood wrk came back normal. I haven't had an MRI in 5 years. I am a long time sufferer of anxiety and am afraid I may have to go back on meds. I have to get through the workdays. I'm afraid I may have to stop teaching fitness, too. Has anybody noticed any if these patterns? I desperately need some encouragement. I think what scares me is before it feltike muscle tension only in my back but now it's nerve pain and it's spreading.

11. Huckleberry

I agree that would make sense David but I never seem to be able to pin anything down...either from a physical or mental/emotional viewpoint. My stress levels are pretty much always high yet when I get a flare I never seem to be able to identify an increase in stress or whatever. The only thing I can really thing of is that it may be that I feel somewhat better and as a result I fear another flare and almost bring it on myself...like a self fulfilling prophecy. I don't really think this happens so much on a conscious level though.

12. Huckleberry

This aspect is a big thing for me as well. I was a big runner but my pain allows me to hike but not to run and this has almost threatened what feels like my core identity. Before this began I was considering training for a career in outdoors work but feel that I am no longer able to do this. I am currently not working and need to find a new job and return to work soon and having to do this whilst having the pain makes me concerned for my future...it is stress upon stress really.

13. Susan1111

I agree there is always a reason until there no longer is one!