1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Pain meds okay for TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by tigerlilly, Feb 17, 2014.

1. tigerlilly

tigerlilly Well known member

I'm a newbie (2 weeks+) with the TMS thing (read Sarno Healing Back Pain and currently on Divided Mind). Convincing myself I have TMS and not a herniated disc at L5/S1 hitting on the nerve was hard to accept, but I have embraced it and have gotten a degree of results, maybe 20-30%. So why, if I am leaving no emotional stone unturned, can't I get further improvement with tapping into my emotions? What am I missing? And why does it only hurt, always in the same places (it doesn't move around like other persons have attested to), when I do certain movements but am better laying in bed? And why does Advil help the pain? Is it even okay to take meds to help with the pain of TMS? I'm not a drug person, but the Advil does help take the edge off at times.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I've taken Advil over the years, once in a while when something ached, before I knew about TMS.
    Advil always worked, making the pain go away. I've read that it's safer than Tylenol and I haven't used Aspirin
    for years.

Dr. Sarno says it's okay to take medication if in bad pain, but continue to believe it's from TMS and
    work on discovering those repressed emotions.

And try not to think of the pain or that it exists at all. Live and enjoy each hour of each day.
    Keep your mind on happy thoughts and activities. Old Man Pain doesn't have anywhere to go in your head or body.

3. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

You do not need permission from anyone to do what feels right for your needs. Work on the TMS/MBS, be dedicated to it, and take what meds that bring you relief. In time, your need for the meds will decrease. I have been off my daytime Vicodin since Jan 31st. Years of 2-per-24hr period, now I am at 1/2 at night. I am not anywhere near ready to deal with my night time issues. I also take Gabapentin at night. In time, this need will decrease. I am not setting a date on it. It just will happen. One day. Some day. Any day. When it happens, it happens.

Dr Sarno, and Steve O, and many others, are brilliant and have extensive wisdom. Take the tools they so generously offer, and use the ones that work for you. Not every single thing works for every single person. The most important aspect is --- believe in yourself. Believe that you will conquer this, but know the journey may last a while. Settle into this journey, and just observe without judgment the intricate and varied scenery. Life is beautiful, and even the pain can result in beauty.

with grace and gratitude,
    ^_^

Emre likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Great advice, Lily Rose. You always have it right. Take whatever is needed to keep going and work on TMS and
    gradually the medication won't be needed.

My pain led to inner knowledge and peace with the Lord. Healing was icing on the cake.

5. Lily Rose

Not always ... definitely not always, but thank you for saying so.

The pain is really an amazing tool within itself. If we never experienced pain, we would be skimming across life without really examining the depths. Pain shapes us, transforms us. Like the fabled Phoenix, and the humble Dove.

And Walt .... I think we are due for some more Annie pictures *hint-hint* :)

^_^

6. tigerlilly

tigerlilly Well known member

Thank you both for the replies.
    Lily Rose - I wish I had your patience. Not one of my better virtues, so I am struggling with frustration.....but, I am working on it. Trying to embrace and "enjoy" the ride. I just hope to get off the ride sooner rather than later! :)

7. Lily Rose

Patience, like anything else, is a practice. I get very frustrated at times, usually when I am over tired, or over stimulated. I can tune a piano with great patience, but html for webmaking can make me howl for my husband. We all have our hot-buttons :) Don't beat yourself up over it, just breathe and tell yourself you'll do better next time.

^_^

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Yes, Lily Rose, we have to deep breathe and be patient and kind to ourselves.

Thanks for asking for more Annie photos. I'll look for some new ones.

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Annie in my lap and Annie in the front yard snow.
    Good thing she isn't white or I might not find her. annie in lap partly from meg cropped.jpg annie in snow 2014.jpg

10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

annie at her favorite sports, last summer

Annie playing soccer.jpg

Lily Rose likes this.
  11. ashoo79

ashoo79 New Member

this is so cute.Walt you also look great