1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pain medication

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Dominating everyday, Dec 11, 2018.

1. I have been prescribed oxcycodone for pain. I sometimes have difficulty sleeping and was wondering if taking pain medication will make my recovery time longer? I have read healing back pain and mind body prescription and cannot find him saying not to take pain medication. Any suggestions would be appreciated as to what I should do to help me recover the quickest?

Thanks

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Dom,

I think that Dr. Sarno did not rule out taking pain pills. I think his direction was "take the pills when your pain is severe, and don't use them as pain decreases." So no, it will not hurt your recovery, except that it keeps you in the "physical realm" rather than the psychological.

Some of the artificial codeine-type drugs seem to interfere a little with sleep, and of course they're super addictive for some of us. Know also that sleeplessness is a TMS equivalent, and can be treated as such, if it is not all attributable to pain.

Andy B

Ellen, Tennis Tom and Coffeeplease like this.
  3. Jocko1

Jocko1 Peer Supporter

I was given oxy’s too. I took them on and off for over a year when the pain got bad. I started TMS Therapy August 1st this year and I quit ALL meds, even over the counter. My improvement has been slow, with ups and downs but overall I’m improving. Quitting medications was HUGE for me psychologically.
    Oxy didn’t do much for me other than make me feel high for 30 mins (but that goes away with time). IMO taking pills reinforces there is something physically wrong with your body, when in fact the problem is in your mind.

Ellen, Tennis Tom and Coffeeplease like this.
  4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree with what has been said above.

Just want to emphasize that if you do take pain medication, don't take it regularly as it is very easy to become addicted. Withdrawal from pain medications was more difficult for me then treating my TMS.

Coffeeplease and Cheryl like this.
  5. Marinedad

Marinedad Well known member

What med can you take for pain that are not addictive

6. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Research has shown that a combination of one Tylenol (acetaminophen) 500mg capsule plus one ibuprofen 200mg tablet is as effective as an opioid in treating pain. It's not going to give the same lift in mood that an opioid does though.

Coffeeplease and Dorado like this.
  7. Marinedad

Marinedad Well known member

Once my pain as gone down my mood will rise !! Thx you Ellen I am trying to stay away from meds which have not helped especially antidepressants...A benzo helps on occasion but I don’t want it to be my goto ...

I am accepting the fact that my body is riddle with Rage anger and guilt and i really don’t care what part of my past that it from I just know for sure that why my pain can be so bad