1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pain Levels

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Huckleberry, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

Have recently been re-reading the GPD and was struck once again by just how intense the level of pain that Steve O had with his back was...particularly how this was also occurring concurrently with his plethora of other TMS symptoms.

I'm just wondering as to why it should be the case that some people have such intense pain pretty much constantly whilst others seem to have quite mild pain on an ongoing basis which may flare in intensity. Surely if the pain needs to serve as a distraction it should really be intense and pretty constant...I suppose what I'm driving at is if we are one of those who has low pain and/or flares why does TMS let us off the hook at certain periods? It's a double edged sword really. I suppose if you have constant screaming pain you are frightened it must be something really amiss structurally whilst if you only have mild pain or occasional flares then you think well it can't be TMS because it isn't always painful enough to be a distraction.

Any thoughts?

2. pspa

pspa Well known member

Maybe it's not a distraction, maybe there is another explanation for psychogenic pain such as a hyperaroused nervous system from stress, anxiety, repressed emotions, trauma, all that stuff? Apostasy, I know.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    RichieRich likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Huckleberry. I am a total believer in TMS and that ended my severe back pain. But I also strongly believe in distractions as a technique in relieving pain. Watching a funny movie, playing a board or card game, working a jigsaw puzzle are some good distractions.

Don't laugh or think I'm naughty, but engaging in some sexual activity, even if you don't have a partner, can take your mind off of pain. Relaxation, "feel good" hormones are tapped which are for calming.