1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pain levels and intensity

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Huckleberry, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

Apologies for posting again but wanted some input on an issue I've been thinking on but which doesn't seem to have really been addressed much in the TMS literature.

Anyone who has read my recent posts will be aware I'm struggling with looking past a structural diagnosis and accepting a TMS/psychological causality for my pain.

One of my stumbling blocks is that I always feel that my level of pain and it's intensity never seems to fit in with the TMS theory. I read threads from people who are in terrible pain and even bed bound etc and who struggle with mobility and range of motion etc but I have never been in this situation. Much of the time on a day to day basis I would probably say my pain is more of a discomfort and nagging tightness etc...it does flare up and it's becomes far more painful across my lower back and into my left leg but once these flare ups die down I seem to be back to the back burner nagging discomfort.

I suppose this concerns me on a couple of levels. Firstly, the osteopath I saw a few years back outlined how my condition would start as discomfort and how my flare ups would become more often and more painful and of course I am fearing that this is now wants happening, it's like a pattern of inflammation that is happening over and over gain. I know that this nocebo could have become like a self fulfilling prophecy. Secondly, if the purpose of the pain is to be a distraction why isn't the level of pain more intense, why doesn't it effect my movement and mobility? This doesn't really make much sense to me as surely it would want to be doing the best job it can to grab tour attention and a high pain level would surely be the best way to do this. I often hope in a way that my pain level would 'overplay' it's hand but it's never really done that...I find this aspect confusing and it does lead to much doubt in the TMS diagnosis for me.

Thanks for reading and really appreciate the feedback and comments guys.

2. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

........ and yet here you are, and the pain/discomfort is just enough to distract you. Does it need to be crippling pain? Does it need to measure up to what you perceive as being worthy of qualifying?

TMS is merely the concept of mind-body connection. It does not mean the pain (or discomfort) has to overwhelm. It simply needs to get your attention, and keep it.

Your questions are good, and you should always feel free to post as often as you feel the urge.

with grace and gratitude,
    ^_^

3. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

Thanks for the reply and yes, it makes perfect sense. A distraction is a subjective thing indeed.

4. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Huckleberry. I have never been bed bound or lost any mobility. I think the real question is how distracting is the pain? How much do you think about it? How does it effect your life? If its not really a problem, just a nagging annoyance that doesn't truly inhibit your happiness and enjoyment, then just focus on your life and try your best not to think about it. But if you feel your life could really improve without the pain, then keep going on all your TMS work and don't let the pain serve as a distraction.

5. chickenbone

chickenbone Well known member

Huckleberry, I agree with the above posts. I also have never experienced crippling pain, but I do experience crippling anxiety because of the nagging pain that drives me to distraction at times.

6. Msunn

Msunn Well known member

Hi Huckleberry, I'm also one who doesn't have crippling pain, just discomfort, many moving symptoms in my hands and arms.

Since I am a musician this has been very effective at distracting me, since it affects something I love doing.

I think for many of us TMS affects areas that matter the most to us. I've had a variety other pains that I think were probably TMS related but I usually didn't pay much attention to them.

Emre likes this.
  7. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Huckleberry don't think on what that nocebo is anymore. You do have mind power and you should think yourself completely well as others have suggested if you don't want to be hurting more later on. Pain can come on lightly and then hit hard later as anyone can attest to that. Ann lily's and Msunns post have a lot of good information. I would take my time and read over and over your question and all the answers.

See what you don't think would be tms is tms as Msunn said. Its just giving you something so out of your thinking -- thinking you wont think its tms. You need not over trivialize a mechanism that is trying to tell you to lighten up and explore this experience.

Bless You

8. alexandra

alexandra Peer Supporter

I've only had to take Pain meds about 5 times in the last year and a half since the pain started...but I've had to retire from my dancing career, and have sunk into such deep depression, I even had suicidal thought because of the pain that took my career away. Ive never been physically crippled but I was emotionally destroyed for a long time.

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Alexandra, I'm sorry you had to give up your dancing career.

Maybe there is a new direction for you. Have you thought of teaching dancing?

When Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly aged and were no longer able to continue their movie dancing careers,
    both turned to acting.

Or maybe there is another expression of artistic direction for you. Writing, painting, etc.

And if you work hard enough on TMS healing, maybe you could resume your dancing career.

10. alexandra

alexandra Peer Supporter

Thank you Walt glenview, I will never give up the hope of dancing again even if it's in my living room just for myself. I am dealing with nerve type pain, tingling etc...in all my extremities, back, hips as well but I have been able to walk in the mountains where I live in British Columbia Canada which is beautiful and has helped with emotional healing. I'm still looking for someone in this forum who has recovered from nerve symptoms like mine but as for now I live one day at a time and try to enjoy it all good or bad. Bad times for me have become learning experiences .

Msunn likes this.
  11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I'm so glad for your reply, Alexandra.
    You're working on healing wonderfully.
    It's great that you can take walks in the beautiful mountains.
    And dance in your living room.
    And keep working on your repressed emotions.

We were expecting 6 more inches of snow overnight and I dreaded that
    because we already have mountains of snow all around.

So what did I dream of? Spring and looking at all the crocuses and daffodils
    in bloom. I remembered that while I cleared my driveway of the new 6 inches of snow
    that did fall overnight. And I laughed at the snow.

I hope we can all laugh despite our pain and worry.

alexandra and Msunn like this.
  12. James59

James59 Well known member

Huckleberry, my pain started merely as a minor annoyance several years ago. Ignoring it caused it to get worse until I hit a plateau where I couldn't ignore it any more. I remained on that plateau for a few months hoping it would get better because at least it had stopped getting worse. I got to the point, though, where I couldn't stand it anymore. I then sought medical treatment. Physical treatments caused it to start getting worse again. Every treatment I tried, and I tried several, only left me worse off than when I started until ultimately I became housebound.

I now realize that physically fighting pain was sucking me deeper into pain. Finally, I discovered after my last failure that all of those exercises I was doing to relieve pain actually put me in the position of fighting myself, like a Chinese finger puzzle, tightening pain's grip on me.

So if you're not physically fighting pain as I was, then I suspect your subconscious is probably satisfied with the current level of distraction and that's why you can still function. Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on this subject, I'm only relating your question to my personal experience.

Msunn and Ellen like this.
  13. Emre

Emre Peer Supporter

I think for many of us TMS affects areas that matter the most to us
    great eye opener for me thank you:)!!

Msunn likes this.
  14. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

We can't give up on doing the work to heal our TMS pain.
    James, I suggest you read Steve Ozanich's book, The Great Pain Deception.
    He tells how he ignored his back pain while he exercised and played golf.