1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with BruceMC as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Pain killer suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Penny2007, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Penny2007

Penny2007 formerly Pain2007

I'm having acute TMS pain in my upper back which shoots down my arms and is keeping me up every night. I have a family wedding to go to in a couple of days and need some sleep and relief from the pain. None of the over the counter pills I have are working, even very strong Ibroprofren (600). It feels like I have a super tight knot in my back. What can the doctor prescribe that would work? A muscle relaxant? Something else? I just need it to get me over the hump.

2. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Hi Penny2007,

That's really painful. TMS pain does not respond well to medications and when it does, it's temporary. I understand you need to get some sleep and this is very frustrating.

That knot that you have is a super tense muscle. Have you tried any muscle relaxation techniques before sleep?

I have seen it do wonders for my clients and work even better than medications.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2017
  3. Penny2007

@FredAmir - I've been a TMS student for years. I've been doing all the latest techniques recently. I prefer not to take pills but the pain is acute right now and I'm in a stressful situation without much time to work on myself so I need drugs, just to get me over the hump of the next few days. Temporary relief would be great!

4. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

5. Penny2007

Cherry juice?? I need drugs. Any other suggestions anyone?

Click#7 likes this.
  6. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Since you're looking for prescription drugs, obviously you will need to consult with a doctor. He/she may have good recommendations. I found Tramadol helpful when I was in a lot of pain. It didn't really lessen the pain that much, but it made it easier for me to cope with it and to care less about it so I could function better. And Lunesta was helpful when I had insomnia. Temporary aides, but I understand that they are needed at times.

Lily Rose, Nzombro and Penny2007 like this.
  7. CarboNeVo

CarboNeVo Well known member

tramadol would take away any pain I have unless there is something extremely emotionally upsetting going on or I am under huge stress (mostly work related).
    I am one of those luckier ones who respond really well to this medication.
    The immediate release doesnt work as good as slow release, when I take tramadol I tend to take 100mg slow release per day, usually it kills all the pain. The thing is.. I very much doubt that it's painkilling function is at work here, but rather the anti depressive components are the ones behind the pain reduction.
    Last couple of months I have been pretty much cured and living with no pain, but would still take one pill per day as my brain is perfectly conditioned that 1 pill of tramadol in the morning = pain free day.
    Also I want to mention, this drug is addictive! what I do.. i take it for max 5 days in a row, then take a break for at least 2 days.. this way I dont get addicted to the drug.

Ellen likes this.
  8. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

I am in constant pain and feel it more when up and about. Gets worse as the day goes on. Dr. Sarno said there is nothing wrong with taking strong pain killers when the pain is unbearable. I would see a pain doctor to help you with getting some med because I agree cherry juice is questionable. Taking a pain med is not surgery, PT or injections etc. I will tell you this I say stay busy and active. Keep your mind occupied to show your brain hey you are not going to slow me down, or get the best of me. I just lived thru "hurricane Irma" and had to prepare my family, my house and get into a car to drive far away from the storm. The pain level actually came down when I thought what was most important in my life and what wasn't. Steve Ozanich in his book the GPD stated he hit 500 golf balls/day and jogged because that was his routine and what he liked to do. I am hoping that as I accept the TMS diagnosis, realize what some of my issues are and think psychological all will settle down and dissipate with time. Read Sarno's book and Steve O's as much as you can stand, or listen to them on audio. Do stuff that made you happy like listening to music you love or do something you really like to do. There is nothing structurally wrong with you...as your subconscious brain has other ideas though. I think of my brain as a computer that has a ton of crap in it's memory that pops up every once in a while. We can't erase all the bad memory, but we can reboot it and use what's important and what isn't in our lives. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2017
    FredAmir likes this.
  9. Penny2007

I went to the doctor who was very sympathetic and on the same page as me about this being a temporary measure during an acute period. He gave me Clonazapam for anxiety and the equiv. of Tylenol 3 for the pain. I only took the Clonazapam a couple of times and don't like it at all so stopped. The codeine in the Tylenol 3 works the best. I've also tried these sticky patches that you put on the painful spots and that seems to help. I will get back to TMS work as soon as this hectic/stressful period is over (next week).

10. thecomputer

thecomputer Well known member

Tramadol and all opiates can make it very had to sleep. I find every time I take tramadol even in the morning, I tend to not be able to sleep. It's a strangely nice feeling compared to insomnia I have experienced. My mind just wanders and I have some very interesting thoughts, but cannot sleep!

Other than that, opiates make me feel alot better. Even if the pain doesn't go away, they just make you feel in such a better mood about everything. Of course they are very addictive, so be careful.

For sleep you want to get some proper sleeping pills. I like alprazolam of valium, sometimes etizolam. Again, very addictive, so only use occasionally.

I have never got addicted to sleeping pills and took them every few days for years. I really needed it at the time as I could not sleep due to anxiety and panic.

Now I sleep fine, but occasionally if there's and event or I am wired I might take one.

Good luck sleeping and with the pain :)