1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 Pain is still here

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Garuga, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Garuga

Garuga New Member

So the lower back pain is still here and has intensified during the work week. My first thought is that it is due to me removing all the crutches. I’ve stopped taking the twice daily prescription anti inflammatory, no cushion in the car, not as much lying down on the couch in the evenings, and resuming as much activities as possible. I’ve stopped the chiropractor, stretches, special back exercises, and breathing exercises meant to prevent back pain. Also all the goofy rituals of which chairs I can sit in, how I hold my posture, etc etc, I’ve also stopped. I’m exercising more, but am smart enough not to do the ab and core strength moves that have severely initiated higher levels of pain in the past. So without all the crutches, the lower back pain has crept up, especially at work and after long hours of sitting in meetings!

I know my work stress is a large contributor, but am hoping for some level of pain abatement to give me the confidence that I can get out of this pain cycle. I know now that neuropathway issue I have is: work+sitting+stress=lower back pain.

Any suggestions on how to begin to get to some level of relief would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

Click#7 likes this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Gary,

You are making a brave start, and a thoughtful start. I suggest you work some kind of TMS daily reading or contemplation into your program, find a way to have pleasure or soothing every day, and practice patience. The more you want to pain to go, the longer it stays...

Garuga likes this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Gary:

What really helped me break the fear cycle was learning more about the neuroscience behind the fear. I got an audio program called Meditations To Change Your Brain, by Richard Mendius, MD and Rick Hanson, PhD. The program is a combination of lecture and meditation exercises, and the emphasis of both is to rewire your brain. I purchased the download from SoundsTrue, but I know it's also available on Amazon as a CD, maybe available if you have their Audible subscription, and I later discovered that I could have checked out the CD for free from my local library.

Basically, I've learned to listen to the negative and fearful messages that my brain starts bombarding me with as soon as I feel a symptom, and I counteract it with something positive and productive. The natural tendency of our brains is to drag us down into negativity. Fighting back is not easy, but it can be done!

Also, absolutely what Andy said.

Good luck,

~Jan

4. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

Gary I went thru the program too and then started Unlearn Your Pain by Dr. Howard Schubiner. He is one of the MBS/TMS doctors that is on this website. I did what you did by removing all my crutches with the exception of my meds. By the way I beginning to have less pain, but not ready to stop meds. In Dr. Schubiner's program the question is asked should I stop my meds and his answer was, "it's fine to take your medication for pain, anxiety and depression while working on the MBS program. If you are in severe pain it may be difficult to participate in the program, so pain medications are often necessary. Do not stop any medications without first speaking to your physician. After your pain or anxiety or depression gets better, you can taper off your medication in consultation with your physician. If you stop your medication too early, your mind can use that as an excuse to cause your MBS symptoms to recur. " This was on page 296.

5. Garuga

Garuga New Member

Thanks so much Jan! I will definitely give that a try!

6. Garuga

Garuga New Member

Thanks Click7, good to hear that there are recommendations regarding meds. Appreciate the info!