1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pain in the Neck! and not being a TMS Goodist

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by riv44, Aug 11, 2015.

1. riv44

riv44 Well known member

If the TMS physiatrist says my spine is not the problem but my neck is not strong, and my neck is painful, is that TMS? But I think I need to cope with it using all the means I have for lowering anxiety.

In the Real World, my family, friends and colleagues caution me about going "from zero to 100" in my activities. I have done this before in my life, and it is never a good thing. I am not doing the SEP religiously, because I don't do well in too much structure. Nor do I like feeling that I will not get better if I don't do it correctly. That's sort of 12-step-ish and not my style. I don't want to be a TMS goodist! I am not counting days.

I have returned to the gym, and have the most fun in classes with a lot of choreography and fun music, because there is no judgment. I can get out of my head for a while, and enjoy being with people. Returning to group exercise has been the best part of this process. So is the knowledge that I am not doomed to become a miserable person who is always in pain!

Lizzy likes this.
  2. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Hi there riv44!

I think your neck sounds like tms. When muscles aren't used they atrophy, large or small. Last year I broke my foot and long after the injury healed my foot hurt (tms) when I learned about tms the foot stopped hurting but was "out of shape" so I worked it to gain back muscle. Plus tms can cause muscle weekness, so as you get that understanding deep down that gets better because the brain lets go, so to speak.

I get to much going in my life and it catches up, and if extra stress comes along when we are spreaad to thin we will have a protest from that inner child. Yesterday mine flew out of the box, my parent threw her back in and then the child bit me in the lower back! Instant pain when I stopped a very childish tantrum :D Sad part is I knew I needed to tend to some stuff. Happy part is I am learning new ways and they are helping. So I have taken today to do some needed tending.

I workout alone, but go walking with friends, and it is so good to be moving laughing and having fun. Enjoy your classes!

I appreciate your posts, they are insightful and encouraging to me.
    Lizzy