1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pain gets worse when trying to ignore it

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by rbmunkin, Mar 24, 2019.

1. rbmunkin

rbmunkin Peer Supporter

If I'm supposed to ignore my pain and push forward, what do I do when I do that by going beyond what I would normally do due to the pain, and the pain gets much worse? Keep going even when the pain gets worse and worse to the point where I'm bedridden? Thanks.

2. Kozas

Kozas Well known member

I know what you are going through! From my experience I can only tell you that "trying" will never help you! Neither just "pushing trough". Or maybe I used word 'never' wrong... in MY experience it will not help you.
    You don't have to go beyond what you usually do, especially if that means worse pain. I mean unless not at first, it's better if it's gradual. And trying to ignore pain will not help you. You have to forget about it. There's a big difference, because trying to ignore your pain means that pain is still center of your focus, and sure you can ignore pain for a moment or even hour but in the end that strategy is not good. You have immerse yourself in what you are doing, a mindfullness aproach is crucial. This doesn't mean you have to do something extraordinaly - it's just mean your have to put focus somewhere else and just accept that you are in pain.
    It's hard to do, I know. But it's doable.

3. rbmunkin

rbmunkin Peer Supporter

Thanks Kozas. I'll give that a shot! Sounds good.