1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Pain fading question

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by dharn999, Jun 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. dharn999

dharn999 Well known member

Just curious how many people felt their pain fade away over a period of time, how many people felt their pain shift areas before going away, or how many people felt it just disappear quickly.

Just some backstory, I had back pain over a year from 2012-2013 until reading Sarno and having a book cure, then three years later had pain return for over a year, I had pain return about 6 months ago (Jan 2021) and have noticed the pain become less and less this time around (much like the previous time). The pain all started in my low
    Back towards my spine and is not more in my butt. I really do not like talking about the specifics of the area or bones/vertebra/muscles involved, but I’ve noticed it shift around to areas that really do not bother me as much (butt over back pain).. my pain did this last time around as well.. just curious if other had this occur in the past

PS: I am finally journaling and writing things out, I plan on doing more of this as I progress and keep doing it when the pain passes because this second relapse has me concerned about what further pain relapses can be if I do not address my unconscious more as time goes on

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I have experienced all of this in my TMS recovery journey.

3. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Hi Dharn,
    Once I recovered from TMS more than 28 years ago I have not had much issue with it with rare exceptions and even then for a very short time.

In one case, in a period of three weeks my mother-in-law and my mother both ended in hospital with serious conditions. It was extremely busy and stressful. Once they were ok and home, I woke up on a Saturday morning with a stiff neck (yes, the weekend syndrome when my conscious mind could finally relax). I knew it was from the weight of what had happened on my shoulders and neck that was causing the pain. I told it to go away again and again and kept moving into the pain. By the evening it was fine.

On Sunday, I woke up with a really weird sensation on the side my left hip all the way to my foot. I was very uncomfortable. I could barely lie down on my left side. It was then that I realized I had more tension that I realized. So I applied my Nine-Step Rapid Recovery Plan, especially the ice cream part, and by Sunday evening it was all gone and never came back.

Since you keep having recurrence of symptoms, I suggest you work on training your mind for 3-4 weeks to completely eliminate TMS and also work on mental and emotional habits (worrying, negative thought patterns, pessimism, etc.) that may lead to too much tension.

Take care,

Plz568 likes this.
  4. dharn999

My relapses have been hard hitting and that’s very rough because you know what is the cause and then even when you keep thinking psychologically about it all and know 100% for sure it’s TMS because it was the first time, the second time, and now the third time, it really has me just obsessing over what I’m doing wrong… I know the pain will fade, and it has been over the course of time just like before, but it seriously feels like I’m letting something just build up over time to the point that my mind is causing me to have the pain for a certain amount of time regardless of how I interpret the pain..

I know I need to change how I think, not so much how I live, but think and see the world around me. I haven’t changed anything in my life in regards to something I consider toxic to my mental health because im really not living with anything toxic to my conscious mind, I understand it’s not the conscious but the unconscious that is having the issues. So I need a better strategy like I said at how I live once the pain has passed… ive been completely fine with the physical elements of life and not feared pain returning because of what I do with my body, but I’m missing something with my unconscious and my emotions

5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

This line kind of jumped out at me. Why live differently when the pain has passed? That seems like letting pain dictate how you live and the timetable. I think practicing outcome independence is one of the most important concepts in TMS therapy. Craft a life that doesn't depend on pain leaving. If we watch closely and wait for pain to leave, it usually doesn't in my experience. Do the TMS work for about an hour day, and then go about your life while you integrate your new learning and insights.

TG957 likes this.
  6. dharn999

I understand that I tend observe way too much instead of living, I actually find my need to learn more about TMS less and less when it comes to reading (even though I’m debating on reading Mind Body Prescription because I haven’t read it yet) and there really isn’t much I I’m limiting myself on as of late, but I can just tell that I’m not mentally in the same belief state as I have been in the past, and that is more than likely a belief issue.. I know it’s all going to pass again once I completely 100% stop caring about the pain.. easier said then done

but as for what I meant in that comment is what I need to do once this pain is gone again. I know it will go away and I will get back to not even thinking about it at all again, but I’m obviously doing something in life that’s driving my unconscious to rage because this being my second relapse of pain I’m not processing emotions well. I probably need to understand what at my core is not handled right day to day to cause these issues. I also need to listen to my body more when other things are trying to give me signs such as anxiety and other things, that way I can reflect on my emotional state more before I have another massive pain relapse.. if that makes sense

Ellen likes this.
  7. Hi dharn999 -- yes I have noticed the "back" pain always shifts lower and often becomes butt pain or sciatica as a flare up "wears on" or is about to let go ... as evidenced by past episodes even before I learned about TMS. Also shifts in intensity to duller deeper. I only found out about TMS 8 months ago (discussed with my doctor had all the screenings etc.). But I clearly have "had" it since childhood and even if you only count the back pain portion 30+ years. I'm 57 now.
    Now that I know about TMS this is the first flare up (June 2021) I've had since finding Dr. Sarno's Healing Back Pain (October 2020). And I notice it is much less predictable or continuous this time ... it feels as if I have an electrical short and the pain switch truly doesn't know whether to be on or off and "it" the pain ... forgets where it's supposed to be. I think this is a good sign. Anytime "it" moves or switches location I see it as evidence that it is TMS.

Ellen likes this.