1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Pain exclusively on right side of body

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by walllc643, Oct 30, 2014.

1. walllc643

walllc643 New Member

At any given time, my pain tends to be present to some degree in one or more of the following areas:
    • Foot/shin/knee
    • Buttock
    • Mid-back and upper abdomen
    • Upper back/neck
    • Face and arm
    Here is the kicker though - the pain exists EXCLUSIVELY on the right side of my body. Under absolutely no circumstances do I experience pain anywhere on my left side. The pain began in my foot and lower leg, then slowly made its way upward over the last 4 years.

Does anyone else experience this type of head-to-toe pain purely on one side of the body?

2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Most (if not all) of my TMS symptoms occur on the left side of my body. Just goes to show that TMS is related to the central nervous system. I would speculate it's because I broke my left heel twenty years ago and those programmed pain memories function as a convenient location for my mind to locate symptoms. However, the pain in my heel disappeared years ago and didn't resurface until 10 years later shortly after my mother's death, which must have functioned as a psychological trigger. An obsessive, perfectionist personality type must focus on old physical abnormalities like that and that's how the pain gets reinforced (at least in my case). I've heard that the location of TMS pain is actually quite random though and can occur on either side of the body. Must be quite a few other folks out there with their own stories to tell about where their TMS pain is located. In any case, if the pain is located only on one side of the body, it sure suggests that the ultimate reason for TMS is brain-based.

Okay. Let's go at it TMSers! This could be a very productive thread me thinks.

walllc643 likes this.
  3. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Walllc643, I remember once musing over that very same thing. I was meditating and wondering by the majority of my symptoms were on the right side of my body. (Some have since migrated over to the left side, how kind. ;) )

The thought that hit me, quite unexpectedly was this: "You're always trying to do things right." Clever thought or the voice of Wisdom, I do not know. But I do know this: it helped me understand my perfectionist traits better.

And yes, I agree, Bruceā€¦this could be a very productive thread!

walllc643 likes this.
  4. walllc643

walllc643 New Member

"I would speculate it's because I broke my left heel twenty years ago and those programmed pain memories function as a convenient location for my mind to locate symptoms."

This thought has definitely crossed my mind in light of the fact that most of my injuries throughout life have occurred on my right side - numerous ankle injuries, knee injuries, "overuse injuries" from running etc. In fact, I actually just now recalled an incident from my childhood that is very telling.

I remember being 8 years old and hyper extending my right knee. It was extremely traumatic and I had to be on crutches for awhile. However, even after the knee had healed structurally I refused to give up my crutches because I was too afraid to walk on it. I clung to those crutches for MONTHS. Even once I was finally persuaded to give them up, I had pain in that right knee for a long time afterward despite the fact that there was nothing wrong with it.

5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I went through a period of several years when all my pain was on the right side of my body. Eventually, it also included the left side.

But the good news is that now it is gone from both sides. It took me over a year of TMS work, but I finally got rid of it. You can too.

walllc643 and North Star like this.
  6. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Yep, mine is primarily right sided. Occasionally some left sided stuff, usually not as severe, just to mix things up and throw me a few curves.