1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Pain during a dream?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by kindle123, Jul 30, 2018.

1. kindle123

kindle123 Peer Supporter

Hello dear members,

I just wanted to find out can dreams aggravate a pain? I was diagnosed with pudendal neuralgia because I had sharp shooting pain in the clitoris. I have only been sexually active once and that is with my soon to be husband, I was never molested or raped. I had a dream recently in which I was have a physical relationship with another man and even I’m my sleep I knew it was wrong but I was throughly enjoying it and then in my dream the clitoris pain started but I was actually awaken by the pain itself. I am super super confused as to how did my dream aggravate my pain? Any insight would be highly appreciated.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi kindle,

Don't forget that pain signals (and other symptoms) are generated by our brains. And that the group of symptoms that we call TMS are the result of our brains trying to hide our repressed and dangerous emotions by creating pain to distract us. Dreams also come from our unconscious brains. So it's no surprise at all that a disturbing dream can cause more pain.

I'm only a tax accountant, not a therapist, but my gut reaction to your story is that you've got some rather urgent psychological work that you need to do, regarding your relationship and your sexuality. It's time to go to therapy.

Good luck!

Ellen likes this.
  3. kindle123

kindle123 Peer Supporter

Thank you Jan, what kind of therapy do you recommend?

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Not sure I have the expertise or experience to be able to tell you that, kindle. Perhaps someone else can help answer that. You do need to work with someone who is competent in the mind body connection, and you'll probably be better off with a female therapist with whom you can discuss sexuality.

5. kindle123

kindle123 Peer Supporter

Thank you very much I’ll try to look online.