1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Pain delayed by five minutes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by music321, Dec 28, 2017.

1. music321

music321 Well known member

Yesterday, I ran my car head-long into a barrier at about 10 mph (maybe less). I was able to anticipate the impact, and tensed all of the muscles in my body. This worked well, except in relation to my neck. Being strapped in with a seatbelt, and given the weight of my head, my head pitched forward when I hit. I should also mention that I am extremely weak under the best of circumstances as a result of TMS. When I impacted, I felt a very definite stretching within my neck muscles. I wouldn't exactly even call the sensation pain. My neck was just tight. As best as I can recall, pain didn't start until about five minutes later (or maybe three minutes, I don't really know), and started to increase over the next forty minutes. The pain has been with me ever since, and has not diminished.

According to crash tests, anything over 5 mph has been shown to be quite capable of tearing muscle fibers within the neck. Considering how weak my neck already is (I can only sit for an hour or two at a time), I wouldn't be surprised if this is a real injury. It seems strange that it was delayed, though. I certainly believe that pain that manifests itself a day later is TMS, but a few minutes? I don't know what to think. Like I say, there was a pretty serious "stretching" sensation at the time of impact. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

I don't know about the speed and the impact, but the first thought I had was when someone is in a car accident and they are drunk they have fewer injuries, because they are relaxed. Your neck was probably relaxed. Having said that, it could have some minor fiber tearing, but that is what we have when we workout with weights. We make ourselves sore to build more muscle, and it doesn't worry or scare us. Hope this helps.
    Lizzy

plum likes this.
  3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

In 'Unlearn Your Pain' by Dr. Schubiner there is a section on how whiplash is TMS. There have been other doctors who have come to the same conclusion but I can't call their names to mind.

Lizzy makes a great point about how being relaxed results in less injury. Tension is the problem not only in accidents but in life. Remember that TMS is Tension Myositis Syndrome. Reduce tension and Bob's Your Uncle.

As the lovely Lizzy says what doesn't worry or scare us does not create tension. Fretting over minutiae does.

Lizzy and MWsunin12 like this.
  4. andy64tms

andy64tms Well known member

Hi Music 321,

Your story equates well with my experience at the theater watching Phantom of the Opera. I never wrote a story, but remains vividly implanted in my memory:

Phantom of the Opera dramatically opened with a terrific bang. I say terrific because it was terrifying for a split second. My neck went into a spasm, it went solid and was very painful, and I remember I could not turn my head side to side without inducing even more pain. I believe it was a classic “Flight or Fright” reaction. I could not move so I was captivated by the Fright portion of this reaction.

Your delayed reaction is possible, and for myself would not give it too much creditability, I have had similar jarring of my neck that is very unpleasant, maybe your muscles were over stretched and torn a little. As Lizzy mentioned body builders tear their muscles on purpose, they do this knowingly understanding that the muscles will rebuild, so will yours. I have also had a delayed pain reaction as much as a day later from a real injury, caused perhaps by a mere movement of a nearby muscle.

My spasms, such as these take several days to diminish; I usually warm it with a heat pad and take Tylenol PM. I do not know if you have a history of neck issues that are TMS, but this does not have be and I think you are correct when you say: “I wouldn't be surprised if this is a real injury”, and it has only been a day.

Good luck

5. music321

thanks, I appreciate the replies.

6. music321

For what it's worth, I spoke to a TMS practitioner. I was told that if the pain starts the next day, it's TMS. However, it's common for real injuries to present pain minutes after injury. Thanks again for the replies.

Lizzy likes this.