1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 8 Pain Connections

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by MellieV, Jan 29, 2016.

1. MellieV

MellieV Peer Supporter

I'm flip-flopping Day 7 & Day 8. Since Day 7 is the scheduled "day off," I'm going to do that tomorrow since it's the weekend.

Today's question to ponder is about emotional connections to pain. After some soul searching and journaling this week, I know for sure my pain is closely connected to my loneliness and feeling trapped. BUT, my main problem (which I believe to be the true root to all of the this) is my anxiety/fear. This is not my first go around with anxiety either. I've suffered on and off for years...decades now actually. Oddly, I haven't had a full blown, can't breathe - going to die, panic attack since the onset of my pain. It's almost like the pain took it's place.

Does anyone else here suffer from anxiety or fear anxiety attacks? I always feel like it's the dirty little secret no one will admit to out loud. I know I didn't, because I thought it made me look like a weak person. Please tell me I'm not the only one.

2. giantsfan

giantsfan Well known member

I have loads of anxiety. At times in public I feel like I'm about to faint, body gets really weak, I shake, hard time breathing etc. It's definitely frustrating. The worst of anxiety got me in the last few years but I've always had a lot of anxiety. I'm willing to bet the grand majority of people on this site suffer from anxiety to one degree to another.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    MellieV likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Mellie and giantsfan. Welcome to the anxiety club. You're right, many if not most of those who post in the TMSWiki community say they have anxiety. I think everyone has it. It goes with the territory of being alive, and especially in this supercharged era of uncertainty about just about everything. We have to learn how to deal with anxiety, and TMS healing techniques have many ways of doing that. Some of the most successful techniques are deep breathing and mindfulness meditation (living in the present and not the past or future).

There are some excellent videos on Youtube about dealing with anxiety. Also, Tapping helps relieve anxiety, so see those videos or look on the Internet for Tapping.

Two of my favorite ways of relieving anxiety are drinking a hot cup of milk, and also laughing. I laugh my anxiety and worries away.

Keep journaling to discover the emotional reasons your subconscious is sending you pain, so you will discover them. Dr. Sarno says you don't have to solve the emotional problems, just recognize them. I find forgiving to be a great way to stop emotional pain. Forgive others and yourself as well.

Keep positive about healing from your pain and anxiety. It will come. Just be patient and if you become discouraged, go to the success stories on this web site to learn how others have overcome their pains and anxiety.

4. MellieV

MellieV Peer Supporter

Funny you mentioned "tapping" because I just started it. I used two tapping techniques from energy healer, Amy Scher. They are helpful in sudden onset anxiety symptoms for me. I like deep breathing too, but it's not helpful unless you are alone.

5. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

well MellieV:
    i sure know what you mean!
    i have had a lot of anxiety troubles and there are not a lot of people who know this.
    just when i started working in the mental health( area that has changed : i opened up about it and suddenly i found
    out how many people struggle with this. and feel ashamed.
    we are programmed to be strong and do it all..and in the end we are all just humans.
    Mine started 20 years ago and i had really troubels leaving the house etc..felt sick outside
    took 2 years with a great footreflex lady (yes really) who helped me so good. she learned
    me breathing skills wich helps me still today. now i use a app daily just to keep me on track with me breath
    ps ;i am on sep day 1 today :
    wish you good luck too!

greetings
    Karina
    (Netherlands)

giantsfan likes this.
  6. MellieV

MellieV Peer Supporter

Welcome and thank you, Karina! It so hard in modern society to admit any sort of mental weakness and be taken seriously. Not to mention, when I tell anyone I have anxiety, the most common thing I hear is, "Well, just calm down." As if I wouldn't do just that if I was capable!!
    I'll be looking forward to your posts. Good luck with the program!

7. MellieV

MellieV Peer Supporter

It's the worst. I swear it has kept me in the house on many occasions. But, I refuse to take medication for it right now. I have a fear of becoming zombie mom. Hopefully it is one of the things I will be successfully tackling in the coming weeks.