1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Alex B. Pain caused by chiropractic manipulation

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Guest, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Anyone on this planet EVER experienced these unique lower back symptoms described explicitly by Dr. Sarno in his book The Mind Body Prescription that I have suffered with the last 10 years?
    In Chapter 3, p.58, Dr. Sarno lists low back manifestations and amazingly he describes my EXACT pain symptoms that I have suffered after a chiropractic manipulation which scared me to death (likely one of the TMS causes).
    The chiropractor did a thrust on my L5-S1 joint NOT KNOWING that I had a Grade 1 spondyloloisthesis. I had NEVER heard of such a condition but I feared that the chiro had ruined me for LIFE, literally!! Two surgeries later, unsuccessful , including fusion, I STILL have this horrible symptom, starting when I first become conscious in the morning and does not stop. I also became addicted to pain pills as a result. But enough...
    Sarno writes:

"Infrequently, the muscles that form the floor of the pelvis, in the area known as the perineum (between the genital organs in the front and the anal opening in the back), are the site of TMS. This is usually frightening to the patient and puzzling to the doctor, but is no cause for concern, since it is a classic manifestation of TMS".

I wanted to cry when I actually read my area of pain that NO ONE had/has a clue! I have NEVER spoken with any physician, therapist, or even any other person who has any idea what my pain is since the chiro incident.
    "No concern to the patient...!??
    Please anyone? I need confirmation!

2. Alex Bloom LCSW

Alex Bloom LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Hi there,

It can be very powerful to learn about different ways of interpreting one's symptoms and it certainly seems like Dr. Sarno's explanation has clicked with you. Very good news indeed. What I can tell you is that both I and my colleagues at the Pain Psychology Center have worked with a number of clients who have suffered from this particular symptom, so you are indeed in good company. In addition, many people will suffer symptoms after having an adjustment as it can generate the kind of fear that reinforces and perpetuates TMS symptoms.

Speaking of fear, when Sarno says the pain is "no cause for concern" he is referring to the fear that the pain triggers. In other words, once you understand that the pain is caused by TMS, you can begin to address the fear around the symptom by reminding yourself that you don't have to be concerned with it because it is explained by TMS rather than a structural issue with the body. By addressing this fear and working to dissipate it you can retrain your mind and the pain will follow.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.