1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Pain becoming manageable but stiffness is really annoying!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Guava, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Guava

Guava Peer Supporter

Hey guys. Not posted in a bit. Hope everyone is making some progress in one way or another :)

I'm doing pretty great on the pain side of things, but these past few weeks i've been trying to apply the same thing I did with the pain to the stiffness, and it doesn't seem to be working.
    I am constantly so tight, and so much cracking in my neck. Urrrgh :(
    I have started doing some physical exercise, you know for the sake of it, and not to target any physical symptoms, but still really stiff.

Any one have any good tips on dealing with this?

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Journal more, Think more on what could be right under your nose that bothering you
    Meditate more and love yourself more. Stay with what you've been doing and make that
    program better. Give your body a week or two to lose the stiffness and journal.
    Stay in the now and don't let this stiffness become a burden ok.
    Then resume everything.
    Your Doing great Guava- Wonderful

Guava likes this.
  3. Lori

Lori Well known member

Guava. Oh now I want a guava. :)
    Neck pain. Is there any situation you can think of where you are being "stiff-necked"? (yes, it can be that simple)
    or anyone you're dealing with whom you feel is being that way (adjustment in your attitude toward them may be needed).
    Best wishes!

NolaGal and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Lori what's a good way to adjust your attitude toward people
    that are stiff necked?
    Thanks

5. ayalitta

ayalitta New Member

This stiffness is what I can't get rid of either... It made me feel stuck quite early in the process, even though the sharp pain, numbness and tingling went away within 48hrs of being exposed to the concept of TMS.
    While I am optimistic about being able to have a pain-free life again; I understand also that this is my psyche's strategy for many, many years (I've had low back pain since I was 10 years old). My mind is not going to give up that easily on this very effective strategy!
    It is going to be a long journey exploring and facing the underlining causes for my TMS; and in my case - I feel like I need the help of a mindbody psychotherapist (which I have started to see). I've been out of my own element - traveling for almost 2 months to visit my family for what I thought would be very happy circumstances (2 weddings), but turned into a very big burden on me emotionally. My pain is creeping back in. I'm away from my support system and healthy routine, including exercising. I do mostly swimming and Pilates - which I realize now had a therapeutic effect on my mind and therefore on my body as well - helping with mindfulness and breathing and relaxation, which is mostly what happens to me when I am physically active (in those disciplines in particular).
    It may sound as a backwards strategy, but maybe you are on the right track exercising, as long as you're aware of the mindbody connection, and don't see it as a way to "fix" your neck ;-)
    Hope the stiffness leaves you alone soon!

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

The family reunions might well have triggered repressed emotions that caused the neck problems. You'll get relief and be "back in the groove" with TMS healing. I'm not a doctor, but maybe a warm compress on the neck or just gently massaging it will help.

7. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I, too, have remaining stiffness after having had good success getting rid of the pain--except for the occasional flare up clearly due to emotional stress. I've started doing Yoga to address the stiffness. It is a mindbody form of exercise and some describe it as a "body meditation". I feel that as long as I'm not doing it to address the stiffness as a physical phenomenon, but rather as a way to integrate my mind and body, it will be useful. I've been very out of touch with my body most of my life, mostly living in my head. I'm fairly new at Yoga, and I'll let you know if it helps with the stiffness. But I'm also continuing to address the stiffness as a form of TMS and using the TMS tried and true techniques.