1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

pain as preventive protection ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by miquelb3, Sep 30, 2017.

1. miquelb3

miquelb3 Well known member

more about my daughter's story.

Studying and playing a huge musical string instrument is strenuous ... and not just in the physical aspect (Patrick Süskind knows it!)I suspect, according to my recent conversations with my daughter, that her pain is less related to "repressed emotions" and unconscious rage/anger or chilhood distress... but rather to very stressful emotional episodes in her past student life.
    The professional world of the "classical music" is extremly competitive, mendacious, wild and acutely cruel. "Few bones for too much dogs".
    Without no doubt my daughter has suffered from "respectables" teachers, "notorious" professors, "loyal" friends and colleagues,.... humiliation, cruelty, abandonment, rejection,...
    How much, or how little? I don't know... but the overprotective primitive/reptilian brain of my rather hypersensitive daughter has made its interpretation and has activate her "inner guard", the defensive/protective mechanism capable of generating pain. That pain, in the most crucial parts of her body, prevents my daughter of following her "too dangerous" vocation.
    "Beware: stop your career", "Impossible to follow your way in such conditions", "Hazardous and risky profession",...
    The psychological pain (of course TMS) is an obvious prevention of present and future emotionally outrageous situations related to her huge and beloved instrument.
    The Sarno solution?
    To acknowledge and absolutely accept the emotional source of the chronic pain and... to persuade, by means of a very sincere self-talk, that unconcious "inner guard", the protective brain, that personal growth as well as an acquired emotional detachment and a reliable passion for the music is enough equipment to overcome the future emotional turmoils.
    Easy to say ... but difficult to do !
    I'll appreciate very much your comments about the plausability of that facet of the TMS concept: pain as learned (from bad past experiences) protection mechanism of present/future presumable emotional conflics.

thanks a lot!

2. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

This is the very premise of TMS. Young people are susceptible to profound emotional injuries as they come into the world with open hearts that life as we know it does not safeguard. They can go through a rebellious or wounded state for a while thereafter and that can then lead to the necessary cultivation of emotional resilience and growth. This is a worthwhile journey.

Your daughter may just need time to work through this in her own time.

3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

"Dr. Sarno:..the brain is doing this as a protection. Protecting you from the unconscious rage and other bad feelings you might have. The reason childhood things are a factor is because -- and we've known this for over 100 years -- the unconscious has no sense of time. In other words, things that happened to us when we were 8 or 10 years old, if they're emotionally powerful, are still there at the age of 40, 50, 70, or 90."

birdsetfree likes this.