1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pain and anxiety at the same time?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by stayfit65, Feb 21, 2016.

1. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

Hello all,

Has anybody had experience with pain and anxiety at the same time? I've seen a couple of swings from one to the other recently, but sometimes I have BOTH. I have had anxiety for over 20 years but had pain for about 5. I am hoping this is a good sign. I take no mess for my anxiety but have in the past. Trying to deal with all of it now without drugs.
    Thanks.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, stayfit. I've felt the two and think that for most of us, pain and anxiety not only can be experienced at the same time, but the two go together like ham and eggs or cars and gasoline. For both pain and anxiety, there are TMS healing techniques such as deep breathing, living in the present and not he past or future. I've seen wonderful videos on anxiety relief on Youtube. And there are many natural reliefs for anxiety... I drink a cup of hot milk and calm down right away. Congrats on dealing with anxiety without medication. That's not the solution. The TMS MindBody concept is.

3. Jentx123

Jentx123 Newcomer

Yes! I have both. I am not sure whether the pain contributed to the anxiety or vice versa. I do take medication for my anxiety, still trying to figure out the one that's right for me. The goal for me is to eventually get off of medication and just handle my anxiety through therapy (which I am also doing). I am also doing the SEP.

I know there is a lot of anti-psych medication sentiment around these parts - and I don't think it's a long-term solution - but if your anxiety is debilitating I would say there is no shame in taking meds. At this point in my life, I would not be able to function without them. They allow me to hold a job, take care of my kids, and try to get to the heart of what emotions are causing my pain. As long as you aren't on meds that make you sleep all the time or feel like a zombie I think they are fine in the short term.

Good luck. I know exactly how you feel!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    Abbo and Boston Redsox like this.