1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pain After Missing a Step

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by JackG, Jun 19, 2018.

1. JackG

JackG New Member

Hi there,

I’m freaking out a bit and hoping someone can help me stop spiraling!

For background, I was diagnosed with TMS by a doctor here in NYC. I do have a herniated disc from weightlifting. Since the TMS diagnosis, I’ve made great strides and even have some pain-free days.

A few hours ago, I was walking around, zero pain, and walked off a curb without noticing the step (thought it was flat). Wasn’t braced at all for the ~6 inch drop and landed on my heel, putting all the compression on my low back, which really hurt for a minute or so. I seem to be fine now, 1-2 hours later, as far as I can tell.

I am here because the pain after it freaked me out. I don’t remember feeling that kind of pain after “missing a step” in the past (e.g. going down stairs and not realizing there is one more step). Or maybe it’s semi-normal? I don’t know!

Is this common with TMS? Like having an over-sensitized back where the jolt would hurt more than usual (or something)? Just trying to get my mind out of “structural” worlds - was doing so well until now!

Really appreciate any support to get me out of this slump.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Absolutely this is common with TMS. And let's acknowledge that near the end of his life, Dr. Sarno himself hinted that perhaps the acronym for Tension Myositis Syndrome could be changed to The Mindbody Syndrome. I already think of this when I use the term TMS, especially considering that a couple of my brain's favorite symptoms are not pain.

The other acronym that professionals in the field are using is PPD - Psycho-Physiological Disorder.

I'm very happy to hear that a couple of hours later you aren't feeling anything. The immediate sensation of pain is most likely 100% due to the automatic fear reaction of your brain. Don't ever forget that all pain messages originate in the brain, and their purpose is to make you fearful so that you protect yourself. When the pain isn't actually necessary, you have the power to calm down your brain, and get it to stop the pain!

~Jan

3. JackG

JackG New Member

So helpful to hear. Thank you, I really appreciate the comment! I am feeling totally fine today, so I don't see any negative repercussions from the "incident." I think I can push this out of my mind - hopefully - as being nothing more than an overly-sensitive back.