1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

PAIN AFTER MASSAGE (PHYSIOTHERAPY)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Pietro Carloni, May 22, 2018.

1. Pietro Carloni

Pietro Carloni Peer Supporter

Hi everyone,
    today is a very difficult day and I need a comfort.
    Yesterday I was at the physiotherapist to try to resolve the contractures at the top of the back and neck (I'm carrying my baby in my arms and in the morning I wake up full of pain).
    After the decontracting massage I started to feel a lot of pain in the manipulated parts, the pain was so strong that I felt nauseous and headache. I spent a hellish night and I woke up really in pieces and very agitated. If I could go back, I would avoid the massage, but now what do I do?
    A part of me had alerted me about the physiotherapist and now I'm living a nightmare.
    This morning I forced myself to go to work, but I can not divert attention from this pain to the shoulder blades and cervical. I also got a headache and I do not know how to get out of it.
    The physiotherapist says that it is normal after the manipulation of yesterday a worsening of physical conditions, but I would never have imagined up to this point.
    I think I underestimated the TMS and now I pay the consequences.
    How do you behave when you are prisoners of the fear of being sick?

2. jsabina

jsabina New Member

Hi Pietro,
    I can relate because last week I went to my physio (which I went for the last few months but unfortunately didnt solve my pain). I woke up the morning after that o couldn't move my neck!
    My pain wasn't nearly that bad before!!!
    I just got better on the weekend!

I have no good suggestions for you because I am still struggling myself (for another pain glute leg which is tormenting me..).
    What I have done has been trying to read more sarno and this forum

I haven't started journaling yet and have long road ahead..
    I am sure other people will have better suggestions!

All the best!

3. untangledweb

untangledweb Peer Supporter

I used to have horrible pain after a massage. They were medical massages and not deep tissue in the slightest, but it didn’t matter. I’d be in hell the next day. I was so fearful for any body work after that that I felt like I was between a rock and a hard place. It sucked!
    I started going to a gentle yoga class. Even that was painful. Again, the day after the class, I would wake up in horrible pain. I started doing it at least two times a week and it made a huge difference in my pain level. I have been going now at least 3 times a week for the past 3 weeks or so. My mental and physical health have improved dramatically. If you have the opportunity, give it a chance.
    I hope you’re doing better.
    Beth

4. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

I have two different experiences with massages:
    - pain (and headache when the neck/upper back is involved) after a massage; the roughness of the massage, the initial pain/tightness and the height of my stress levels are strongly linked to this effect and it can take a couple of days for the pain to die down.
    - pain and swellings after a massage during a time when I had pressure-induced hives. I got a massage of my calves during lunch time and I could barely walk after working out in the evening. It cleared up after a day though.
    In my experience the first massage in a long time is often the worst when it comes to post-pain; just like you get the worst muscle ache after the first time you hit the gym in a long time.
    Just tell yourself that it will go away. If you don't like the way this person massages you, ask him/her to take it a bit easier the next time. If you still find it unbearable, skip it, it isn't necessary when it is TMS.