1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Oxygen Deprivation

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by D. R. Martin, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

I read this thread but I can't follow its direction. It began with an oxygen question. I was surprised when I first released my book to see that most people think that Dr. Schubiner and Dr. Sarno were working together, and that Dr. Schubiner had somehow advanced Dr. Sarno's work. Hasn't anyone wondered why Dr. Schubiner doesn't call TMS, TMS?

It would be the height of irresponsibility for me to speak for other people. But I've spoken to almost all of them, with the exception of Sam Mann, and I don't know what Dr. Schechter is thinking (like many of the other TMS MDs).

I can speak for myself though. Dr. Sarno endorsed my book because I wrote about his work. He didn't endorse many other people. He was a strict adherent to science and the clinical observation of what had seen over 50 years. There is a 49% oxygen reduction in those cells of pain sufferers. Almost all of the MDs he helped to heal, and to train, feel that he is correct, with the exception of one. If anyone wants to know how the other TMS MDs feel, just ask them.

I will also add, that Dr. Miller feels pain is from oxygen reduction, and he had never heard of Dr. Sarno until he read my manuscript. All of the other MDs that I've communicated with through the years, who don't know what TMS is, have also relayed to me that pain came from oxygen reduction. But I by no means have the complete picture.

I personally don't know. I'm just spreading the knowledge I have gathered, helping people heal from what I've learned. I consider myself a scientist, even though as an engineer it's truly applied science. But I also have another science degree and have used the scientific method most of my life. What we know with this thing that Dr. Sarno calls TMS, is that there is proof of oxygen reduction, as one mechanism of pain. Beyond that, it's the wild wild west of learning, with people adding all types of their own theories to Dr. Sarno's work. I see it in TMS counselors, forum posters, and guys like me who put up a TMS stand next to the road by the lemonade sign. Most of them have simply taken Dr. Sarno's work and added what they felt they wanted to add, much of it in direct opposition to what his message was, and yet still calling it TMS. The good doctor doesn't agree with most all of them, but as a scientist,he is always open. That's why he was so good, and the other pain doctors so bad. He wanted to heal people. They wanted to be right, take the easy route, and to gather their money along the way. What we want may not be what is right, and it certainly won't be easy.

Forums like this one are great, but you also have to be aware that there are non-stop conflicting opinions for everything. Just because someone says something doesn't mean it's true. It could set you back. But there is also great power in connection and in the soothing knowledge that others are going through what you are. And that there will be support for you. This Wiki is priceless in the impact that it's currently having. I'm not sure if people are aware of how many people have healed from here. But always be wary of taking any and all advice, especially if it contradicts what is currently working. TMS healing works, other "variations of TMS" are less successful and the numbers are showing it.

When you enter this peer network, the first words you see are, "dedicated to the work of Dr. John Sarno." If that ever changes I won't be here. I'm here trying to help spread Dr. Sarno's great message. Someday there may be greater insight into his work. But I'm not so sure. I believe that he may have hit the jackpot with emotions and belief, everything else seems to add to the confusion. But never say never.

I got several emails when my book came out saying, "why didn't you talk about the new TMS and nerve pathways?" I didn't talk about other theories because my book is about TMS, and Dr. Sarno's work. Any new addition to TMS, simply for change sake, does not mean it's true, or better. Remember New Coke.

Jude, Richsimm22, James59 and 3 others like this.
  2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Steve, thanks a million for writing this. I appreciate the clarification.

3. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Steve, if you as an engineer are familiar with "black box"/"white box" theory as applied to circuit analysis, you'll have to agree that Dr Sarno is approaching the mechanism driving TMS as a kind of "black box". You don't have to understand how the circuitry works to see that a digital bit stream enters a "black box" as a logical 1 and exits it as a logical 0 (or vice versa!) Dr Sarno is not so much concerned with the exact mechanics of how TMS operates as much as carefully observing and recording its results. Programmed pain pathways may (or may not be) what is causing an increased oxygen debt in nerves, tendons and muscles, but we do know that lowered oxygen levels do exist in the soft tissues of TMS patients. That much is certain. We also know that self-soothing, mindfulness meditation, and journaling will calm the mind in such a way that those tissues are more oxygenated. Dr Sarno was a clinician who focused on curing TMS, not on the exact "white box" mechanism involved. Sounds to me that if you're stressed out and constantly putting a lot of pressure on yourself to be perfect and good, a whole lotta bad stuff is going to be going on in your bodymind. In the meanwhile, before someone synthesizes a universal TMS theory (hah!), we just have to go with what works and that involves accepting the psychological diagnosis and rejecting the physical, just like Dr Sarno emphasized. Otherwise, we might get into the dangerous territory of taking a pill (like Prozac) to change the neurochemistry of your brain, and we all know what kind of a tangled forest that's led us into. In the mean time, meditate, journal, and above all, practice mindfulness so you're not obsessing about your symptoms all the time. Easier said than done!

Becca and Ellen like this.
  4. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, what Plum said. Thank you!

5. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks, Steve. There is much confusion surrounding this and for me and my unconscious mind, confusion=doubt.

6. tarala

tarala Well known member

Oh Plum, you have a wonderful way with words and much insight. The original meaning of education is "to draw forth from inside," but I think modern education is more about stuffing it in from the outside. I try to find my education from what my inner spirit is whispering to me. Sometimes I just don't listen though ;)

plum and MontanaMom like this.
  7. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Godbless. That feels like a warm hug.
    Once my little storm passes we should favour this topic. Wisdom loves wildness. Was it Freud who said 'civilisation is madness'.

North Star likes this.
  8. mstlymebutmstlyu

mstlymebutmstlyu New Member

My understanding is that emotions are generated by thoughts and mental images from the mind. To feel warm fuzzy feelings can be looked at psychologically. Right now I am trying to feel sadness or make it surface as a bodily sensation but I have my body responding to thoughts that are sad.