1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

OW!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by gydiwon, Nov 8, 2012.

1. gydiwon

gydiwon New Member

I am writing this post at 1AM in the morning. At 12 midnight, I was suddenly awoken by a sharp pain in my right big toe. It hurts very badly and hasn’t stopped for the past hour. I’ve never had this before. I don’t know what triggered it. There doesn’t appear to be anything physically wrong with it.

I’ll bet you anything it’s TMS seeing as how my wrists which have been hurting for 10 months magically feel better. Just the same pain moving to a different part of my body. But man I sure would like the pain to stop so I can go back to sleep.

2. Lala

Lala Well known member

in terms of my healing....when the pain started moving around that was the beginning of the end...meaning shortly there after my pain (everywhere) went away...still get minor aches now and again but i think its my unconsicous trying to hang on...and its so minor it doesn't really phase me.

In Steven Ozanich's book THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION he talks about his pain moving around (its called symptom imperative) and how he began to take the pain movement as a great sign...he even said he began to look forward to it b/c it was a big sign that his unconscious knew he was onto it.

good luck!

3. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

You've got to take into account too, gydiwon, that during the night while you're sleeping, the unconscious portion of your mind has free-rein. Hence, if you've been getting rid of your wrist pain during the day while you're conscious, it's much easier for repressed emotions to surface during sleep when your conscious censor mechanisms are absent or not working on full-alert. Like Lala says, the pain in your toe could very well be an example of symptom substitution based on symptom imperative. If the pain is manifesting at night while you're sleeping, it might be a good time to dig a little deeper into your unconscious to uncover any repressed emotions that might still be lurking there.

4. charcol

charcol Peer Supporter

Gydiwon- this sounds all too familiar. I awoke to a stiff neck one morning, nothing too unusual since it's happened many times in my life. It continued for a few days and then all of a sudden, woke up at 5am to the worst pain I've ever had, but in my left shoulder, arm, and elbow. Getting back to sleep wasn't an option. The pain in my neck has virtually disappeared, but the arm continues.

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

As Lala and MorComm said, symptom subsitution is common. In the end it all comes down to how you view it. It can be easy to become disheartened when a new symptom appears - especially when it keeps you up at night! - but this is what your unconscious mind wants you to do. If you view the new symptoms, instead, as a sign that you are making progress - i.e. you are overcoming TMS and your unconscious is desperate - then you will be able to overcome these new symptoms in time.

One interesting thing about getting symptoms at night may be what emotions have come up at night. In the future you could try to journal when the new symptoms pop up. It may even be enough to simply write down parts of your dreams that you remember. This may help uncover the emotions your symptoms are trying to cover up.

6. charcol

charcol Peer Supporter

I "second" the idea from Forest about a dream journal. We spend 1/4-1/3 of our lives sleeping and dreaming. There could be a wealth of information in your dreams. I would research "dream journals" to find out what the experts recommend on how to approach this.

Lala likes this.