1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Overuse of shoulders?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Mariskah, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Mariskah

Mariskah Peer Supporter

I have been working in the garden the last week, doing a lot of raking to sow grass. The last couple of days my shoulders are acting out. Im quite fit after doing strength training for the lest 8 months and am suprised that this is suddenly a problem. Im not sore like after a workout, it feels more like the unpleasant feeling after doing to much repetetive work. How do I know its just tms again? Thanks!

2. Jules

Jules Well known member

I understand. Although my pain has largely left, I have been doing a lot of gardening lately that has my shoulder acting up again. So, I have gone back to my training and applying the skills I have learned. Is there stress you have been dealing with that is keeping you distracted? Remember, TMS is Telling Me Something. What is it telling you? I know for me, I have dealt with a ton of stress over my job that has been eating me up (literally - digestive issues and IBS), and feeling torn over whether I need to leave it or solider through. Plus, with covid and all the unrest in the U.S. (not sure where you’re from) and TMS is really rearing its ugly head.

Go back through what you have learned, which I have had to do many times, and realize it’s usually TMS every time. Figure out your emotional issues and act accordingly. But, I would also say soothe yourself. Right now, I have a heating pad on to calm my shoulder pain, and will rest today, while working on my inner turmoil of my situation and figure out what’s best for me.

Take care.

Mariskah likes this.
  3. Mariskah

Mariskah Peer Supporter

Thank you so much for your response. I have seen the turmoil in the US, both with the riots and the pandemic, and understand that it is a huge stress increase in everyday life. Im from Norway, and we have been very lucky here, even though it was quite terrifying in the beginning when everything seemed out of control here too. I have been very stressed the last weeks. We are building a house and I have the sole responsebility to sow and make a garden. And it is quite huge. The workload to just getting grass growing is overwhelming. And working in the heat we have been having (new record for june, seems we are having heat weaves as the new normal) as made it very difficult. I am so grateful to have a garden finally, been waiting quite a while, the house took a few years to get up, and I have been angry and stressed to get the garden going, feel like all I do is waiting, waiting to live my life doing what i dream of, and i stress to get to that point where I can feel I am there. I want my garden ready now, but as with everything, it takes so much time and work. I could be enjoying this process, but Im at a point where Im tired and angry of waiting, and just want things finished. The anger i feel is also for complaining, because I should be grateful. And I am, I just am tired of everything taking time and huge efforts no matter what it is.

Sorry for long post! But Im not suprised its TMS, when Im angry when Im working the soil, because Im tired, hot and feeling overwhelmed.

Hope your shoulder is calming itself, and that you feel better soon!

All the best,
    Mariskah/Heidi

Jules likes this.