1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 9 Overly critical of myself

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by douggie, Nov 18, 2016.

1. douggie

douggie Peer Supporter

Have you been overly critical of yourself lately? How and why have you done this?

Ive been beating myself up a bit lately because I've been avoiding some things that I know I need to do.

I don't know if I'm afraid to do them (fear of failure) or I'm just being lazy.

On one hand,I've been trying to be gentle with myself as I work the program, and just trying to be gentle in general.

On the other, I really need to do these things for my business. I feel a lot of anxiety about doing them. I think maybe it's because if I do these things, and they don't work, maybe I feel there won't be anything else for me to try

2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

I can relate to this feeling, but as they say, if we resist, it will persist...

The emotional work may seem overbearing at times, or like a chore, but my advice to you would be to to ease yourself into gently and with love.

Those very thoughts you describe, of fear or failure are the inner critic clever strategy to prevent you from facing the emotional work.

My suggestion would be to to approach this from a place of love and not, force it. Perhaps incorporate a meditation practice into your daily routine, this will give you the ability to understand your emotional awareness and not buy into the negative dialogue that feeds the pain cycle.

Please try to be kind to yourself and do something you enjoy, it seems you are being far too hard on yourself.

Wishing you all the best in your journey to wellness.

douggie likes this.
  3. douggie

douggie Peer Supporter

That makes sense. Ive been wanting to meditate each day. I think that will help me be more aware of myself

4. Celia

Celia Newcomer

I can totally relate to your feelings... Postponing important things because I am afraid to fail... I am working on this!

I found a cool app (headspace) which helped me to set up a daily meditation routine.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Douggie. Procrastination is a common response to TMS emotional problems. Putting things off that may make you anxious just builds on anxiety. I found some good videos on Youtube on this topic. I especially like the one called "To reach beyond your limit by training your mind."

There are also some good Youtube videos on self-criticism.

Yes, do be gentle with yourself. As they say in the product commercials on television, "You deserve it."

douggie likes this.
  6. douggie

douggie Peer Supporter

That was an awesome video!

7. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Hi fellow procrastinators!

I have struggled with this all my life. I did really enjoy the video that Walt recommended and I thought I would post the link:

Thanks again Walt!
    AC45