1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

overcoming multiple triggers

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by enigma, Mar 6, 2015.

1. enigma

enigma New Member

hey all. im having a difficult time at the moment overcoming multiple conditioned responses. basically all activities which require the use of my hands brings on pain. cooking, using my phone (touchscreen sliding motion), lifting anything slightly heavy, using cutlery, using a computer. im finding it very difficult to keep track of my progress because when i seem to get a handle on one conditioned response (eg. using my phone) another conditioned response will flare evrything up, such as using the computer, and itll be like ive taken 5 steps back with combatting the phone trigger which ive been working on originally. has anyone else experienced this and have any tips? it also seems like when im using the phone the symptoms are "spreading" and upon using the computer the pain flares up very heavily and everything tightens up.

2. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

You have to stop monitoring your body. As long as one is preoccupied with the body/symptoms they will persists, as the great doctor said. You have to find some way to divert your attention, nothing is wrong with your body if you have tms, it's the mind that needs healing.

Generally the symptoms are also there because you fear them. altering your relationship with fear is what needs work. Each time a symptom presents itself it's a opportunity to empower yourself and not care about the symptom or give into your normal scared ways (words from the great Alan gordan).

goodluck and you will heal when your ready. Let go of timeframe anpd enjoy life. Laugh more and love more. We are what we believe.

Ryan

3. Ollin

Ollin Peer Supporter

Hi Enigma,

I think this is actually a good sign that the pain is caused by your mind. Clearly such simple tasks as using computer or telephone shouldn't start physically-induced pain. It sounds like the well-known symptom imperative. It's good that you recognize this as conditioned responses, and while it can be extremely frustrating, I think you need to keep reminding yourself that this is just TMS in action and it can't do you any harm unless you give in to any doubts about it. Just keep on with your life, and when you're ready even challenge this fearful part of your mind by doing new tasks with your hands - doing it with full awareness and focus, so the no new pain can take you by surprise. Likely you won't have any pain. Just stay mindful and detached, whenever using your hands remind yourself that whatever happens it's just TMS raising its ugly head... but not for long. Good luck.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Enigma. Ryan and Ollin are right-on with their advice. Your pains are TMS moving around, to remind you that
    you have repressed emotions to discover and deal with. Try not to monitor your pain. Just practice deep breathing and
    relaxation techniques and become more positive that you are going to heal.

Maybe, if you can, take a day or more off from things that give you pain. Put your mind on happy things.

Visualize yourself spending the evening with Ryan, Ollin, and me, giving each other lots of hugs.

Ollin likes this.