1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Outside range of success?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Cara, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Cara

Cara Peer Supporter

All of the success stories I read and most of the stories in the books I've read seem to have in common that people see improvement almost immediately. I had two episodes of my pain diminishing, but otherwise I don't seem to be making any progress in spite of reading two books by Dr. Sarno, thinking psychologically, and journaling about past issues and writing a "letter" to someone who causes me stress. Is there a point at which I should assume my pain is not TMS? It's been seven weeks.

2. Huxley

Huxley New Member

Hi Cara, I'm a new member too (just started day 1 of the structured education programme) and I think I'm going to be impatient. Why would someone not be in a rush to feel better? That is some pressure to put on ourselves though. You will no doubt get replies from people who have a lot more experience than me but to use some of their words...

1. I've heard/read that some recommend that physical causes be ruled out by a health professional. This can stop you worrying about physical causes and help you focus and believe in TMS but it can also put you in touch with health professionals that misdiagnose you and take you away from the TMS work that could help. A big pro and a big con.
    2. I'm sure I've also read that there's a percentage of people that would also benefit from some help/support in the form of psychotherapy for the TMS work to really budge those stubborn pains. If I remember correctly (??) I think that was as high as 20%?
    3. I'm pretty sure I've read success stories where people took a lot longer than 7 weeks to feel better. The idea of the instant win is intoxicating.... but that's definitely not everyone's experience. I doubt it's even the majorities.
    4. You've had two episodes where the pain improved and it sounds like you've been really trying to follow the principles. I think you have a lot to be proud of and maybe the two periods of diminished pain show you that you're on the right track.
    I picked up the book a year ago and read half and saw some improvements. I then put the book down again. There was maybe a month when I felt like every day was a good day with an odd twinge. Then a series of stressful and upsetting events happened one after the other. Now all the symptoms have come back and they've brought extra one's with them. Now every day is a bad day and I really want there to be a magic switch. I don't think that's going to happen for me. I think I'm going to have to really work for this because it's now all muddled up with fear of being ill and I haven't even started to journal and get to the root causes yet. I've been dipping in and out of this website and the idea of having TMS and it's been a comfort but I now need to follow your lead and do it properly. What you've already done could not have been easy (many like me have been avoiding it for quite a while). I reckon stick with it. Good luck and be kind and patient with yourself (and I'll try and do the same).