1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Daniel L. Other treatments for fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    I've been on the Guaifenesin protocol for fibromyalgia symptoms, mainly vulvodynia. Should I stop that as I am now practicing mind/body exercises using Scott Brady's Book Pain Free For Life. Will my unconscious mind think I believe I have a physical explanation for the pain? Thank you. Ruth G/

2. Daniel G Lyman LCSW

Daniel G Lyman LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    With all medications, especially those you’ve been on awhile, it’s important to consult a physician before going off them entirely. That said, I generally encourage a graded approach to reducing medications.

First, however, wait until you see some change in your symptoms while still on the meds. That’s a good sign that you’re headed in the right direction. At that point, I’d encourage you to begin going off the Guaifenesin. Some bodily changes are to be expected when you go off a drug, so that’s why it’s important to do with the help of a doctor.

Secondly, be patient with yourself. One time of the pain showing up doesn’t mean that things aren’t working. Remind yourself that you’re in this for the long-haul, not the short-term. Don’t be scared by some changes in your pain as you go off the medication. If your pain shows up when you start going off the medication, don’t think of it as a failure, just know that you need to give yourself more time and exercise patience.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Being patient with ourselves is so important. We can easily let stress and worry propel us out of the present and into the future.
    It's a bad habit, but we can break it. Breathe deeply, focus on what we are doing right at the moment.

It isn't easy to go off medication, but I did it, a few years ago, by cold-turkey.
    It's easier if you substitute a hot, calming drink. Probably the best I've found is Lemon Balm Tea.
    I drink it with a wee bit of honey.

4. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

I found this really helpful, because I've been wondering about this exact question lately! I want to go off my Lyrica medication, but I missed a dose one day recently and the neuropathic pain came back quite strongly. I will really need to think and pray about when is the right time to start tapering off the Lyrica, as I know it could be quite challenging.

5. lorrie

lorrie New Member

Hey did that Guaifenesin stuff work at ALL for you? I faithfully did it for two years. I tried so hard. Such a disappointment. Just wondering. Very few people seem to have success with it. Pain is always explained as "the process is working."