1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Orthotics with TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Afcteja, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Afcteja

Afcteja Newcomer

I'm just on the fence regarding my TMS treatment: I've read Sarno's book on healing back pain and started his Mindbody prescription book and I just need clarification on what to do.

Im currently wear orthotics for my fallen arches (overpronation) and have had a history of low back pain. I'm tossing up whether to give my full attention to TMS and ditch the orthotics ( as it causes feet pain and leg pain) or whether continue my TMS journey with the orthotics and eventually wean out of them?

Any advice would be extremely greatful as I really am confused on what to do

Regards,
    Nick

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

In my experience orthotics are a scam (google that and you'll get a mountain of concurrence)

My ex-wife was tricked into this stuff with our son. He has fred flintstone looking feet and she constantly badgered him about them...'remember your orthotics'

He never really listened. He was too busy winning state baseball championships and now being a sponsored competitive cyclist. ... and he still has ugly flat feet and he can outrun everybody in the family. He has NEVER complained of pain.

I'm gonna go with 'Placebo' at best. Nuisance. How many million years of evolution and podiatrists have 'fixed' it in twenty years??? LOL

3. Afcteja

Afcteja Newcomer

What about the back pain induced from not wearing orthotics?

4. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Speaking as a PT let me say- back pain is not caused due to pronation, this is just another structural explanation that Sarno and this community rejects. If you want to go all in on the TMS method you have to give up the idea that pronated feet would lead to back pain. Begin thinking psychologically about what is causing your back pain. If pronation caused back pain then most of us would be walking around with back pain all day since tons of people over-pronate! Your personal correlation of back pain occurring without the use of orthotics is almost certainly due to conditioning (similar to people getting pain with specific movements- once I cured myself of my TMS back pain I could bend over and lift weights with no problem whereas before those things always caused pain!)

5. Afcteja

Afcteja Newcomer

Thanks for your reply MindbodyPT

Whenever I try to go without orthotics in normal shoes, I immediately feel the difference with pain occurring in my legs and back..

I feel the need to put the orthotics back in
    But I know psychologically and TMS wise that I may need to ditch them in order to fully grasp and begin to be pain free

I just don't know because short term the pain isn't the best

6. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Understandable! Start thinking of the orthotics as like taking ibuprofen...they won't get to the root cause of your pain but use them for now while you're working on TMS healing. Lots of people keep taking their pain meds and slowly wean off as they get better.

7. cptusopp

cptusopp New Member

I am also have flat feet and using orthotic
    A little bit of my story, I m having back pain, neck shoulder pain, dry eye, migraine.
    I am trying to tell myself it's TMS as most my my test result from docs turns out to be negative or docs just says is degeneration. (I m almost 40 years old)
    i can totally resonate the above..
    i m also wondering should i ditch my orthotic but the moment i go without. i feel the pain....