1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

orthotics for flat feet?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by abezz, Jan 1, 2020.

1. abezz

abezz Peer Supporter

does anyone here have flat feet? do you wear orthotics? i used to have custom orthotics casted specially to my foot from a foot doctor. but after i found out about sarno i have removed them a few years ago. the past little while i would have foot pain when flexing my foot upwards towards my knee. so of course the doubts are creeping in lol

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi abezz,

I think this is a good question.

I had many worthless orthodics, expensive, made by doctors to try to alleviate my foot pain. Turned out I had TMS.

As my pain went away, I did go back to a "superfeet" orthodic for general use. I did this to "throw the dog a bone," that is not give my foot/mind an excuse for pain. And this is what I had used prior to TMS. I am using a basic foot support, but not because there is anything wrong. I also take long walks every week or so with no support, just to send a clear signal to my brain that my feet are healthy.

My feet are not flat, however. I have seen flat feet, and they are quite distinct in their appearance.

If your feet have been pain-free for years, and it is returning, this points to TMS, in my opinion.

Hope some of my words might help you sort this out.

Andy

intense50 likes this.
  3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Totally agree with Andy. I had $350 orthotics prescribed for Morton's neuroma. Guess what - it is gone, and so are the orthotics which were used for couple days and proved useless. Neuroma seems to be one of many TMS manifestations, but I do use custom orthotics in my hiking boots for long-distance hiking. I don't have flat feet but I love my custom orthotics, they definitely keep my feet from hurting after a long day on the trail.

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Abezz: What has changed in your life with the onset of the foot pain? This is probably the first question we should ask ourselves.

5. Tmswarrior32

Tmswarrior32 New Member

Is the neuroma still there just your pain is gone?

6. TG957

I can't tell if it is there or not since I can't look inside my foot, but it hasn't given me any symptoms, so I assume it is gone.

7. Tmswarrior32

Tmswarrior32 New Member

Thank you for replying back to me! Was your neuroma diagnosed by imaging? I just recently got diagnosed I walked around New York City in high heeled boots during thanksgiving and now I have this horrible zapping pain in both feet, tenderness between 3 and 4 toe and one of my toe clicks. I can feel the nerve moving typical Morton neuroma description. I believe in tms as i actually healed from long covid a month ago doing this work but since I got this after repetitive injury due to tight shoes and constricted socks and it is so physical and still acute, it is hard for me to consider it tms. I also haven’t found any Morton neuroma tms stories except yours now so that has me excited!

8. TG957

I wish I could provide a hard evidence that my case was a true TMS one. It happened to me before I knew about TMS and it resolved quickly by a series of chiropractic adjustments. On the other hand, in my case, the neuroma was a result of misalignment in my sacroiliac joint, caused by the chronically tight and spasmatic muscles, which was TMS. In your situation, neuroma could be a result of a repetitive stress on the feet, but I would not use physicality of it as an argument. I healed from CRPS, which is a highly physical and severe condition, it was pure and clear TMS.

9. Tmswarrior32

Tmswarrior32 New Member

So your neuroma was never diagnosed by imaging? How did you receive a diagnosis of Morton’s neuroma?

10. TG957

It was diagnosed by the orthopedic surgeon who offered to do surgery, which I refused. It was 15 years ago, I don't remember how exactly it was diagnosed. As for diagnosis by imaging, I had EMG and MRI clearly showing "irreparable nerve damage " to my hands with CRPS, yet CRPS is now gone. TMS can be very tricky!

Dorado likes this.
  11. Tmswarrior32

Tmswarrior32 New Member

So back chiropractor adjustments cured your neuroma? I don’t believe that will be the case for me

12. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Yeeikes, @Tmswarrior32 - you are all over the place and you seem to be obsessed with finding a definitive answer to this on a TMS forum. Tamara has reminded you that TMS is tricky, which means there are no black and white answers for any one individual, and there never really has been. There is NOTHING definitive about how our brains affect our physical sensations and processes, because our brains are 100% in charge of all physical sensations and processes, and as a TMS warrior, you should know this! And honestly, I'm sure that normally you do know this, but wow, your TMS brain has you firmly in panic mode, and you are simply not being rational!

What you are doing is allowing your TMS brain to convince you that you are being proactive and constructive by posting a bunch of questions to a bunch of different people on a bunch of old threads. Sadly, you are not taking their statements at face value. On one of them I saw that someone stated clearly that they did TMS work and the symptoms of Morton's went away, yet you have resurrected that thread in order to question them and ask if their statement of recovery was "accurate" - which I have to say is borderline insulting. I would like to think that if you were in a rational state of mind you would think twice before doing such a thing.

You say that you have had TMS success before, BUT... BUT... BUT... This looks to me like a case of YBS - what I call Yes, But... Syndrome.

Please know this: this is not you - this is your brain on TMS. And that means it's time to take a deep breath, get out your copy of Dr. Sarno, and recommit to doing the work yet again. Do the SEP, or do Alan's program, or check out the many resources offered by Nicole Sachs. There is obviously no urgency to your situation, it is not life-threatening, therefore you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by turning your back on what little the medical world has to say about this syndrome, and work instead on what is going on with you emotionally. And probably work on your anxiety, speaking as one who knows.

Mr Hip Guy and TG957 like this.
  13. Tmswarrior32

Tmswarrior32 New Member

Thank you for responding to me. Yes I know my anxiety is through the roof and I am spiraling I can admit it. My previous tms symptoms have never been pain so this is a lot for me to handle. I also am still I. The acute phase of Morton’s neuroma as it’s only been two weeks since injury and these symptoms so I didn’t know what to expect and prognosis is bleak. I am having a hard time believing I can heal this with tms as in my past the recovery stories really helped fuel my belief and with this situation I have only found one recovery story searching the internet. I don’t mean to offend or insult anyone and if that was felt I apologize dearly.

14. TG957

We are not offended at all, we are just trying to provide helpful information. Something to remember is that often a legitimate injury that would heal otherwise, gets highjacked by the anxious brain and becomes a chronic condition, all "courtesy" of TMS. By resolving your TMS issues, you may end up reducing inflammation in your foot. This was my story with CRPS. Don't be distracted by a different diagnosis from your MD, anxiety can generate various symptoms.

Mr Hip Guy likes this.