1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Only worry regards those pesky painful emotions...

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Homestead Hermit, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Homestead Hermit

Homestead Hermit Peer Supporter

I had read The Mindbody Prescription years ago and attempted my own version of attempting to heal myself (which I've discovered through TMSWiki weren't overly conducive for success). I've suffered with IBS for 20+ years (since I was a junior in high school) along with various other TMS symptoms. After a bad bout with acid reflux (which I always believed was TMS) my suspicions were correct after trying diets and expensive pills with no luck healing. My spirit finally gave in and said "2017 is going to be the year you heal" and I've returned wholeheartedly to the path of healing TMS. I've been on this path for about 3 weeks with great success already - acid reflux is 98% gone. Now it's on to finally healing IBS once and for all.

I'm at a point where I have so much faith in the path I know it can't fail. It's just not. I'm going to succeed. Because, even from the very beginning I've always believed TMS was the cause of my physical pains. I'm just the "type" of person to exhibit symptoms and it fits perfectly with who I am as a perfectionist and do gooder.

The biggest worry I have at this point is facing my emotions. Not so much that I have a fear of facing them...but the fear I won't be able to bring them to the surface. I suppose I still have expectations, I want to heal as rapidly as anyone. Though I am being more patient about the process this time around. Because I'm sticking with it no matter what. This is a LIFE process and will be with me forever. I'm currently reading Hope and Help for your Nerves by Dr. Claire Weekes (which I discovered as a favorite read by those on these forums) and it is a wonderful book that gives me the motivation to be patient. I'm also trying somatic experiencing of my own to delve out some of that anger...Whenever I feel symptoms trying to surface, I will hit and scream into pillows and basically throw tantrums (in soft places where I feel safe and protected and not to hurt myself, always careful to ensure love and care). Although it's done wonders to remove symptoms right away, I worry about doing it every day and hope someone might have more constructive ways to release those painful emotions to suggest. I think that even the SEP will help with that. I had already been journaling every day, doing timed writing and journaling about anything that comes up in my mind.

optimistic believer likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi. You are already feeling relief from acid reflux, and I am confident you will overcome the IBS. You are journaling to discover any repressed emotions, which is an essential in TMS healing. You have done some excellent reading before starting the SEProgram so I believe the program is going to lead you to becoming all-well again. Don't spend more than an hour a day on the program... spend the rest enjoying life. Listen to music you like, hopefully relaxing, read a good book (a good novel), watch a movie or tv that lifts your spirits or makes you laugh. Or just sit in the sun (if there is any around you), close your eyes and listen to the sounds of nature.

nick and Homestead Hermit like this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

And don't forget to practice deep breathing. It is an amazing relaxer, even when most stressed, as whenyou are angry and hit a pillow. Breathe in to the count of four through your lovely nose, hold the breath for he count of seven, then exhale through your mouth to the count of eight. Repeat 4 times. Then just breathe slowly.

Homestead Hermit likes this.
  4. Homestead Hermit

Homestead Hermit Peer Supporter

@Walt Oleksy Thank you for the wonderful hints, especially about only doing the program 1 hour a day. I fear I do spend too much time focusing on healing...but, a you said, it's living and enjoying life that is the most effective healer :) I will also try the breathing technique.