1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Once a TMSer, always a TMSer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by tmsandrew, Jun 30, 2014.

1. tmsandrew

tmsandrew Peer Supporter

I would be interested to know about other people's thoughts on this. I suffered from pretty severe RSI for 3 years - and was "cured" within a matter of weeks by following the methods of Dr Sarno. I put cured in inverted commas not because I don't feel that I'm cured (I can type for hours without any pain or discomfort and have been pain free for 4 years so by that yardstick I certainly am cured), but because if like now I start to think about RSI, the tingling starts to come back. It's so strange!

I know it's nothing to worry about now - and as soon as I stop thinking about RSI it will go again, but even still it shows that the TMS has not ever quite gone away - and is looking for any opportunity to reappear. This is particularly pertinent to me at the moment as I am having some problems with my knee, and this shows just how pervasive TMS is - even when you know about it!

I was wondering if anyone else has the same experience? A TMS condition that you have completely overcome until you start to think about again?

Andrew

Stella likes this.
  2. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

For many of us, TMS seems to be based both on nature and nurture (intense personality traits combined with being raised in this less than ideal world) and may not be curable in any real sense. On the other hand, there are people who claim a cure -- I would have been one of them, many times. Then something else (obviously TMS) popped up and had to be dealt with.

I have grown content with having the skills to deal with what comes. Like life, TMS may not be curable but it's manageable.

Tennis Tom, Ellen and Stella like this.
  3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Andrew,

Yes, I have the same experience--just thinking about or hearing about a TMS symptom can make it happen. I also notice that anytime I declare victory over a particular TMS symptom, either verbally or on this Forum, it usually returns within hours. It's very frustrating, but I guess it is just part of the process.

4. Stella

Stella Well known member

Hi Andrew,
    I am 1 1/2 years out of the program. I still have numerous symptoms which I basically ignore. It seems like my mind will move from one spot, a past symptom, to another spot, a past symptom. Plus if I am around someone who tells me something hurts on them, I most likely will get that same symptom a few days later.

I will have pain on my back where shingles occurred (ignore) then tailbone pain (ignore) then asthma symptoms (ignore). Always tingling in my feet and hands. I have had knee pain to the point of feeling like I would fall down. I say to my mind "cut the crap out." It is a warning bell. All these symptoms alterting me to the fear of failure and rejection. And anger on trying to be so perfect. I mediate, journal and exercise, positive self talk, etc.

As njoy says we have the tools to manage the TMS. Yes, we do.

njoy and Ellen like this.
  5. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

So true, Ellen, and solid proof of TMS for anyone who experiences it.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, all. I think we all (even after healing with TMS) have some return of pain or other symptom we may have gotten rid of before.
    Something new comes up in our lives and triggers an old or a new symptom. We may be in TMS off and on, maybe even on during spells,
    but we know how to cure ourselves. Keep thinking TMS, that it's psychological, and not structural.

7. PaulBlack

PaulBlack Peer Supporter

I think this^ is a lot of how I feel and work with it.
    I will always have bumps in the road, but managing or navigating them, seem to be what makes them temporary.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.