1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 4 On to a new Life!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Marek, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Marek

Marek Newcomer

Sadly I can't edit the title of the first thread I've created, that would've been way easier than to create a new thread every time I want to make a journal update. But whatever ;)

Old thread: http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/on-to-a-new-life.8969/

So I didn't keep up with the program yesterday because I had to travel for 4 hours to my parents and then my girlfriend came visit me, so I couldn't reserve any time for that. Today I told my gf that I want to invest 30 minutes to an hour a day for this, she seems to be fine with that.

The stress symptoms seem to continue, I feel like my heart is racing even though it's probably at 80 bpm maximum. I've also noticed that my breath is shallow; the physiological reaction to my emotions tends to reside in my chest, my throat and my head, at least that's where I feel "something". Kind of hard to pin down.

When was the last time you exercised or did another physical activity?

-> my last physical activity was yesterday, although it was just a walk in the park with my gf for 30 minutes. Still I noticed my left shoulder and the referred pain to my left elbow and couldn't resist massaging my scalenus muscles in the neck which when being pressed on recreate those symptoms and give me relief for a while. I still tried to convince myself that the underlying cause was only psychological, and I almost felt like a child that's stealing some candies from the cupboard when I massaged my TPs.

I'm exercising regularly, but only very restricted stuff. For example, before Sunday, I hadn't been jogging for about 5 months, although that would probably be the sport I'd select if I had to decide on only one that I could do for the rest of my life. I've had pain that I thought of as plantar fasciitis and achilles tendonitis for a few months and after that pain stopped, I soon developed pain on the inner side of my ankles. The funny thing is that the pain was dominant on my right ankle, but after reading about TMS it switched to my left ankle and I haven't felt pain in my right ankle anymore since then. On Sunday I just said "fuck it" and went for a run, it felt great. I still had a little pain in my left ankle but was mostly able to laugh about it and characterize it was psychological.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Marek. It sounds like you're progressing well toward TMS healing. If your breath if shallow, try spending more time on deep diaphramic breathing. It sends oxygen to calm the mind and body. Just about every book or web site or video on relaxation urges us to do deep breathing. Some experts say breathe in through the nose to the count of 4, hold the breath for 7, then exhale through the mouth for the count of 8. That works for me, but often I do it only 4-4-4, and then sometimes just breathe in and out through my nose 4-4-4. All of this is profoundly calming and helps heal pain.