1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. Bonnard is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

On tinnitus

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JoelA, Feb 5, 2014.

1. JoelA

JoelA Peer Supporter

Hey all,

I've been thinking quite abit on this topic and could use some wise insights.

Around 50mill americans suffer from tinnitus. Most of them arent bothered with it with from what I understand, they have gotten used to it or whatnot. Another term would be that they are "ignoring it". Could it really be that all of these suffer from TMS? And if so, isn't ignoring sorta the cure? "Live your life like it's not there". I can't imagine that all of these people live unfufilled lives and match the tms-profile. Cant really grasp this.

Another factor is the high proportion of musicians that suffer from tinnitus (or TMS). What is the explanation of this from a TMS perspective?

From reading success stories on this and tmshelps board, I can conclude that many of them goes like "ah, I've gotten rid of most of my pains, I feel great mentally but my tinnitus is still there". This makes me wonder.

I am asking since I just recently developed a whizzing sound in my right ear and my focus has shifted completely from my body to this. Especially since I work in a silent office environment nowadays it's hard to "just ignore". It is not always there and changes abit in character over a day. I know that both Sarno and SteveO mention this symptom as (typical) TMS. I met with Paul Gwozdz who also confirmed it to be TMS. According to the latter it "should be easy to get rid off".

I am not near the level of pain I was in 9 months ago (I increase my level of activity week by week and I'd say that I am 70-80% better) and my logic tells me the tinnitus with 99% certainty is TMS aswell - SI at work, finding my weak spot as I've been fearing this syndrome long before my pain started. I love my silence. But a few questions leaves me pondering and I was hoping to get some insights from this wise community of healers.

All the best and a special thanks to Walt, Herbie, Forest who runs the healing show around here. Keep spreading the love and knowledge.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi JoelA,
    I think the answer to your question above from a TMS perspective is that our unconscious brain seems to target an area that is especially important to us when creating a symptom, as this will be sure to cause the greatest degree of distraction. Musicians listen carefully and need to hear well. What better way to drive them to distraction than tinnitus? That is one of the things that makes TMS so difficult--it hits us where it hurts the most.

I've had many many TMS symptoms over the decades, and I remember having bouts of tinnitus. Fortunately, these were fairly brief. I don't know why it started for me or why it left. At the time I started learning about TMS (10 months ago) I no longer had tinnitus. I wish you the best with resolving yours.

Anne Walker likes this.
  3. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

I've only recently been dealing with this…it came up no doubt, after I read about it being a TMS symptom. ;)

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I think Ellen got it right about our unconscious causing some symptom to a part of the body we use a lot or
    depend on a lot. What kind of musical instrument do you play, Joel? Do you play loud music?
    I have had tinnitus since I was about 40, and the doctor said most people get it and to ignore it, so I have.
    Dr. Sarno says it's another example of aging... "the gray hairs of the spine."

I can hear the ringing in my ears if I think about it. If my mind is on anything else I don't hear it.
    I'm 84 now and I never liked rock music. I prefer classical, but it turns others off.
    I remember reading that the great American novelist Sinclair Lewis said that one of the
    greatest disappointments of his life was not having discovered classical music until the
    last ten years of his life.

5. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Walt, I love classical music….especially Beethoven and Rachmaninoff. Piano and cello music is my absolute favorite. *sigh* I didn't know that about Sinclair Lewis…I love learning new little tidbits everyday. Thanks!

Poetry is something I've come to love but only after age 40 or so. I think somethings, for some people, aren't appreciated until we're older.