1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

old vs. new symtoms

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by phillyjoe, Dec 5, 2013.

1. phillyjoe

phillyjoe Peer Supporter

So, while I doing some TMS work today it dawned on me this current symptom with the ringing ear was not a factor in past years. It was always the back and my anxiety, which just recently I finally bought all the way in as a TMS equivalent. So I became anxious just thinking about this. Why this symptom and why not just hit me where I usually get it? I reminded myself when I had a back relapse this summer I really attacked the pain and in three week was able to complete my 325 bike trip. Could the ear ringing be a way of my mind attacking me in such a new area to throw me completely off guard? Thanks. Go Green,
    Go Michigan State.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Well, phillyjoe, I looked up Tinnitus (i.e. 'Ringing in the ears') in Appendix A of The Great Pain Deception (2012) where there is this definition of the condition, which Steve Ozanich classifies as a TMS equivalent:

"There may not be a better physical analogy for easing TMS symptoms than tinnitus. If you focus on the ear ringing, you give it strength. The back and the neck pain are the same. If you give it attention you feed it. Treat tinnitis like joint pain and ignore it. Tinnitis is symbolic of not wanting to hear something. At the height of my back pain, my ear ringing was at its worst. The ringing left with TMS healing. Tinnitis also triggers the release of adrenaline in the body, elevating stress levels . . . that vicious cycle . . ." p. 354.

Especially interesting what Steve says about the symbolism associated with the condition. Seems as though his definition is apropos of your own situation.

3. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Philly Joe, you got it, when you test your other pain, your brain will switch gears to give you something a little different, something to throw you off. It's quite nefarious. The more active you get, the more it will shift to find something that really worries you, like Missouri beating Auburn.

It's tough for me to root against MSU because I like Mark Dantonio. He came from YSU my alma mater with Tressel, where they won national championships. Then he went to Ohio State with Tress and they won another national championship. But I gotta go with my Buckeyes, we're just a bunch of nuts anyway.

Big party Sat for the game in Indy,

Steve

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  4. Stella

Stella Well known member

Hi Phillyjoe,
    6 months after finishing the program I still have new symptoms. I had heart palpitations which I found very intrigueing. Then my knees litterally gave out completely feeling like I was going to fall down. Then I got terrible bladder pain which I have not had for 4 years. That was really scary. Then the arches of my feet hurt. I just keep working the program; jounaling, walking, meditating and affirmations. I am sure something new will pop up but I know what it is. You can do it too.

5. nancy

nancy Well known member

Hi Stella, please call me after 12:00 CT. I would love to talk to you! Nancy 908-625-9269. Don't
    mind putting my cell on here as I am not afraid of anyone calling me! Nancy.

6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, philly joe that is exactly what it is doing- Hang in tough and know that its just an imperative.
    The more the tms can get you to doubt is the more it will bring on other symptoms too.
    So keep your eyes on the prize, you are heading in a good direction. Your being Aware.
    Bless You