1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Old TMSER with new problem(knee)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by phillyjoe, Aug 8, 2013.

1. phillyjoe

phillyjoe Peer Supporter

Yo, new member phillyjoe, but old tms healer and reader of other TMS forum, just found this one from other site, very interesting. So right now I have a left knee pain. Thought it was due to slight meniscus tear from 14 years ago. No surgery, just wore knee brace just for hoops. None for running. So 4 months ago did my usual 5k limit run next day I could not walk up steps. Let it rest 2 days, ran again with tremendous pain. This was really weird. Went to Dr. month later, said I had arthritis build up, gave me shot, said no surgery required. Well I could walk up steps but not run. This effects my basketball officiating work. I got an MRI thinking that tear was worse and could be repaired. Dr. said tear unrepairable, options were to give up officiating, total knee op., maybe orthro scoping could help no guarantee. pg 98 in Mindbody Prescription by Sarno indicates my condition is TMS. This is confusing to me because I have structural damage so healing through usual TMS mind work doesn't seem to fit. I am open to all comments, experiences, with my situation. I really need to be ready for basketball season by Oct 1. Thank you.

Sienna and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

The best thing would be to see a TMS doc, where do you live? I would love to see your other knee's MRI.

The tear from 14 years ago healed 13 years ago and should pose no problem other than what you assign to it. The body heals completely, injuries don't last 14 years, but memories do.

If it was me, I would look at my life right now to see what's going on, relationship, aging, finance, etc. You could possibly injure your knee, but you also had TMS before, that's a huge indicator.

The ortho scoping does nothing, as proven by the 2002 Baylor knee study on OA. The only thing it accomplished was to lose range of motion from the surgery.

If you can't see a TMS doc, then you have to self diagnose. Do you need a distraction right now?Do you have the Type T persona? Obsessive, perfectionist? Try to be good?

Several of the MDs who trained under Dr. Sarno had knee pain, they thought was from running, but it was from TMS. Brains are tricky things, that's why I'm against them.

Steve

3. phillyjoe

phillyjoe Peer Supporter

4. phillyjoe

phillyjoe Peer Supporter

Steve: Appreciate your thought. This can be a life changing experience as I am making efforts to work through both back and anxiety issues. But this knew thing seems the most difficult because in my head or at the least the MRI shows structural damage. So telling myself "knee pain your just TMS" is quite different then telling my back or anxiety your TMS. Does this make sense? A family member also a PT told me the same thing about knee surgery especially for arthritis and "clean up" jobs, it makes the condition worse. Right now I officiating basketball games is near impossible because I just can't do the sprints up and down the court. I live in suburb of Detroit. You mentioned TMS Dr. to get second opinion. Are you aware of any in my area. Thank you for your feedback.

phillyjoe.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  5. Steve Ozanich

PhillyJoe, you're right next to a TMS doc, Howard Schubiner, MD. Go see him. They are better able to discern true damage from TMS.

To me, your descriptions of anxiety and back pain tell me that you have TMS in your knee. But only an MD can make that claim.

Go see him. Locate him here on this site under "find a practitioner." Then do me a favor and let me know how it went. Ok?

Good luck

Steve

6. Lori

Lori Well known member

Keep in mind that just because an MRI shows something "abnormal" does not mean it's the cause of your pain. My MRI showed large herniated discs and the orthopedist of course blamed it for my pain and suggested various treatments--surgery if nothing else worked.

Learned of Dr. Sarno and immersed myself in his program since I did not want surgery. It worked.

So though my MRI shows herniated discs, I am back pain free!

Don't give up! Get to work!

7. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

Hi Steve,

Congratulations on your new book!

I am also suffering invalidating knee pain due to an ulcer in the cartilage.
    Although a firm believer of TMS approach, it looks like cartilage has no blood vessels then a very poor ability to repair itself.
    I dont have pain on rest, but after walking or standing it does get irritated and if I do more I can stay a few days that I can hardly walk.

I have been like this for 10 months, and don't seem to get better.

I am avoiding surgery but my quality of life is very poor, hardly leaving home and not able to do normal tasks.

I appreciate your advice!

Best,
    Sienna

8. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

[Deleted at BeWell's request]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2016
    Sienna likes this.
  9. Steve Ozanich

Hi Sienna, what's happening with you now? Any change?

Sienna likes this.
  10. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for asking.
    Unfortunately, it does seem like there is real physical damage under the loading area of the knee and it is just limiting my life too much.
    There does not seem to be any proven technique to heal damaged cartilage it but only waiting for it to heal naturally is not giving me any prove to get better.
    It has been nearly a year and I walk less and less over time and can do less things than I used to...

I keep meditating and sending oxigen to my cells and do positive affirmations but so far with no improvements.

I appreciate any advice you can provide.
    Best,
    Sienna