1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 7 Oh, that's me...

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by bur, Aug 21, 2018.

1. bur

bur New Member

I've been keeping my own pace with the recovery program. Why wait for tomorrow if you can do another exercise today, right? I guess day 7 was written for someone like me. The word stop should probably be added to my vocabulary.

It's been an interesting couple of days regarding pain. Somehow my attitude towards it has changed since I learned about neuroplasticity and TMS. I feel like I own it now, even though it still has a mind of its own. That probably sounds kind of crazy.

I feel it coming like it does when a new episode starts. But when I face it, it disappears to surface in another area some time later. I recall feeling pain in my lower back, upper back, neck, jaw, shoulder, back of my head, temple, front of my head, eye, teeth and gums. Somehow this has made me laugh. It feels like the pain is desperately running around trying to find a new dance partner but nobody will join the pain party.

It also makes me kind of apprehensive. What if I cannot keep this up? What if it returns? Is it not too soon to be happy?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  2. InvincibleHymn

InvincibleHymn Newcomer

I was recently at Day 7 and can fully relate to your feelings. :) You seem to be aware of what is going on, but still not feeling to be in control of it. The "Cured in one session" stories are not doing me any favors and probably not you either. For me it can feel like a grind with ups and downs but I am progressing and that is all that matters. And laughing at one self is good too! :)

3. bur

bur New Member

Yes, laughter is liberating!

I realized that I can use the same approach as I often use with my students: I have the best results when I do or say something they don't expect at all. For example when students are talking in stead of doing the assignment I might say with a big smile: "You should really take a break and not work so hard". Yesterday I did something similar with my pain: "Is that the best you can do? I'm not impressed, you should really try a little harder." It was gone instantlydancea