1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Odd symptoms after TMS (afraid to make noise)

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by 575, Mar 7, 2015.

1. 575

575 Peer Supporter

Now this is really weird problem.
    I got rid of my chronic pain over a year ago but now I'm faced with a new problem (TMS replacement? Not sure).
    I have become afraid to make noise. Anytime I'm doing something, be it washing my hands, playing games with speakers, typing, just about anything, I have the feeling that I'm too loud and I'm disturbing everyone. I also used to jiggle my foot when I listened to music on my headphones but now I even think this might shake my neighbors roof or something. I even asked family members if they think that it makes noise, I even asked on the Internet but everyone assured me that it won't disturb anybody. YET I can't believe it, god knows why.
    What is happening to me? Why am I so afraid that people will get mad at me for being "noisy" (I know I'm not actually loud but I can't stop these thoughts). Nobody ever complained about me by the way so I'm utterly confused.
    I came here because a lot of you guys are experts at psychology. Thanks in advance and have a good day.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi 575,
    I know Dr. Sarno says that anxiety, and compulsive behavior is a TMS replacement symptom. That is, he observed in many people that when the pain was there, there was no anxiety or 'obsessive compulsive' thinking, and when anxiety or 'obsessive compulsive' activity was there, the pain was gone. I don't know if you think the 'fear of making noise' might fall into one of these categories, or other categories that also are 'substitution symptoms.' Love to hear what others say!

If it is a substitution symptom, it might work to treat it as TMS, as a distraction to deeper feelings.

What you describe might be seen also as Super-ego activity, or as fear (self-consciousness).

Andy B.

575 and Ellen like this.
  3. 575

575 Peer Supporter

Oh man, I didn't even write it but I actually had strong OCD symptoms lately.
    My new anxiety has to be a TMS substitude, thanks for your response.

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Glad that rang a bell for you. I hope this opens up the right stance and approach now, based on your past successful experience with TMS.

5. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi 575, and yeah…what Andy said. Totally sounds like the symptom imperative at work. You'll be able to lick this symptom!

575 likes this.