1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

OCD, perfectionism and TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stevow7, Jan 3, 2020.

1. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

Currently i'm almost done reading "Hope and Help for your Nerves" by Claire Weekes and this book has helped me TREMENDOUSLY + therapy for OCD. Thing is, she mentions face, accept, float and let time pass. I'm confused when it comes to face, how exactly do we face our thoughts, especially when OCD and perfectionism? also by acceptance she just means to accept what we are going through without engaging the thoughts and in my case OCD and perfectionism?

example, i thinking and talking to myself about something and i was repeatedly saying it over and over until it was perfect. i had to swallow at a certain moment or my mind would just tell me to repeat it or my anxiety would go up until i do it correctly. not only swallowing, but i had to do other stuff or i had to repeat it. it came to a moment where i just said "ok i said it enough" and just continued.

2. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

The discomfort that drives the OCD, thats the thing you have to face, tolerate, accept and wait for it to pass. This is where the practice is. This will create a new pathway in your brain that is no longer emotionally activated in those situations, and the OCD will diminish.

TG957 likes this.
  3. stevow7

gotcha. i still have the doubt when it comes to “face” why face the ocd when we suppost to accept and float without focusing on it?

so basically we feel the symptoms, like headache and or something else from anxiety and accept it and just float until it just dimish right?

4. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

Tolerating calmly the discomfort of the anxiety driving the OCD will create a new pathway that breaks through the OCD pathway. You will be creating an anxiety free pathway by not reacting to the initial discomfort.

Yes this is right. You are cultivating indifference to the symptom created by your mind and it will diminish.

nowa likes this.
  5. stevow7

thanks so much for replying!

birdsetfree likes this.