1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

OCD and TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by osca aelius, Jan 21, 2018.

1. osca aelius

osca aelius Peer Supporter

Hello all, i currently experience something that feels weird. Its not depersonalization or the anxiety stuff. Its about obsession. The feelings of obsession is different from anxiety although fear is also the main ingredient and root of obsession. I dont know if i may call i ocd. I just experience obsessions after i have tms symptoms. Its not about pain anymore, but every sensations can cause to obsess me and makes me hard to concentrate on day to day life and makes me want to not living. To make things worse, i obsess about why im easily obsessing somethings. If you ask me what i obsess about, i dont know how to answer it. It seems like i obsess about every little silly things. Today i may obsess about "A", this keep going for a few days until i got over it. But in the next few days i may have new obsessions again, much like the symptoms imperative of TMS. Anyone can give me advice on how i deal with this and can relate to what im experiencing?

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I don't quite understand what it is you are feeling, but TMS = OCD period. It is OCD of the Body.

After my TMS symptoms went away, I had to get some help for anger... having no place to hide anymore I was angry almost all the time and it nearly cost me my job.

I was highly motivated to get well. The Phd Psychologist interviewed me and after one or two sessions where he asked me about childhood , realized I had OCD. I wasn't having any of the symptoms then, but I wrote every OCD related experience I had had, and all of the peculiar circular thinking patterns I could remember, going back to childhood.

They both exist to distract you from the realm of the emotions. They are both difficult to diagnose because the person suffering them thinks he has something else (I just thought I was Crazy).

My Doctor had done his Phd work on OCD. Very similar to TMS, He told me that when I caught myself 'distracted' by that intrusive thought or circular reasoning, to say 'STOP!' out loud and to immediately go to a new task or a different project. Sometimes I would have to do it twenty times a day...but just like TMS it went away. Obviously it was easier to practice at home than it was to do at work, but it eventually won...

Dr Sarno makes a reference to OCD in 'Healing Back Pain' and that connection might be one reason why I have had such a thoroughly successful resolution of both...and there are other strategies where you can turn your OCD into a benevolent friend (like studying music or doing complicated mathematics) but I won't hog up your thread.

Like anything else...bring it up in your awareness and it will disappear...it can't stand the light!

birdsetfree likes this.