1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Obstacles to treatment

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jcacciat, Jun 28, 2016.

1. jcacciat

jcacciat Peer Supporter

I have been interested in trying to find a psychotherapist who would do sessions by Skype or VSee since there are no TMS practitioners in my area. The typical response is that I MUST see a TMS physician first to get a diagnosis, followed by an in-person session with the therapist. Only then will they see me via video conferencing.

Do these requirements not seem to present overwhelming obstacles for those of us not within driving distance of TMS practitioners? I have been evaluated and re-evaluated by doctors and physical therapists for over 5 years for TMS pelvic pain. I have hypertonic muscles that cause pain, and I am otherwise 100% healthy (physically speaking). There are no tests and nothing to be evaluated other than to confirm that I fit the personality type and have past and current stressors.

Can anyone provide some insight here, or am I right to be outraged about this lack of access?

2. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

I believe that there are TMS practioners within wiki TMS that don't require a doctors permission. Perhaps someone will chime in with a helpful name or two. I wasn't able to afford therapy, but most of the names I pulled up did not require doctors permission or diagnosis. Forest may be able to help you if you write to him confidentially.

3. jcacciat

jcacciat Peer Supporter

Thank you for the response. I've learned that this is a common requirement among the Ph.D. psychologists, but not the other practitioners who do not hold Ph.D's or the equivalent. I am easily annoyed by bureaucratic hoops and have become very cynical regarding the financial motives of those in the pain industry. I understand they need to make a living, but some of them also prey on fears and hopes.

4. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

Yes, JCACCIAT I most certainly agree. I have lost my life savings to all kinds of pain therapies! Cranio sacral work - big bucks did nothing, EFT (tapping) $800 per session how ridiculous!, acupuncture, chiropractic, massage, healing touch, hypnosis, holistic practioners, homeopathy (what quackery!), shots, injections, surgeries etc...All preying on my fears and my hopes of healing.

NOW, I am going to do it myself!!!! And, you can too. We have to believe it because nothing and no one is going to fix us.

I do believe Sarno's approach is good. TMS wiki is good - it is free! And, there are lots of wonderful people ready to help and give advice without cost. Also, the educational program costs nothing.

Keep reading the Sarno books. I haven't paid a penny for those. I found one online in pdf form for FRee (healing back pain). The others I got from the library. I ordered the CD from the library so I can listen to his voice. it seems clearer to hear. I also watch his you tube videos - Free.

I'm not paying anyone any money anymore. Well, I have none left for real healing.