1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

NYC Support Group?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by michael23, Jan 14, 2013.

1. michael23

michael23 New Member

Hi everybody, I just joined this forum, seems like a great group. I am well familiar with Dr. Sarno, and have used his books to overcome severe back pain and other ailments. I find myself, however, sometimes having symptoms in other parts of my body and worrying and obsessing about it, so I think that it would be very helpful for me to meet other individuals in New York City who struggle with same, simply as a means for continuing support and understanding. Does anyone know of any such groups located in the NYC area? Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Michael

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Michael, thanks for posting. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that there isn't an in person support group in NYC right now. I'm very eager to set one up there, but right now there doesn't appear to be anything. Perhaps you can set one up once you have recovered. :) In the meantime, we have a really terrific community here. Feel free to share your story, learn from others by reading their stories, and ask any questions that you might have.

3. Endless luke

Endless luke Well known member

I'd be interested if one was set up.

4. memoiritis

memoiritis New Member

I would too!

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Looks like a few people are ready to start a TMS support group in New York City. That's great.

Maybe the three of you could get together and then post about your group on Facebook and Twitter
    to find more people to join you. Meanwhile, sharing on the forums can get it started.

6. AJR

AJR New Member

I would really appreciate such a group and will definitely join. Someone with coordination talent should take the lead......

7. Karali

Karali Newcomer

Hi, I'm new here - just read the book and ready to buy in- but I feel like I need support. Are there folks who still want to meet up in NYC? (I see these posts are pretty old). If so I'm glad to organize it.

8. Karali

Karali Newcomer

Hi, I'm new here - just read the book and ready to buy in- but I feel like I need support. Are there folks who still want to meet up in NYC? (I see these posts are pretty old). If so I'm glad to organize it.

9. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

I live in NYC! I'm not familiar with any support group. The original post is quite old.

10. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Susan,

I'm not sure if you are familiar with a site called meetup.Com but I think it could be really useful if you are thinking of starting a group in NYC.

It's a handy little tool where you can create a group and arrange meet ups for a variety of interest.

I hope you'll find it of use.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    David88 likes this.
  11. Susan1111

Thanks Mike for the info....not sure I'm looking to start a group...let's see if there is any response to this thread that @Karali just re opened.

12. David88

David88 Well known member

I agree with Mike -- Meetup.com would be perfect for a support group. I organize a music group using them. They have great tools for communicating and scheduling meetings. The cost is reasonable.

mike2014 likes this.
  13. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Just a thought, Dr. Sarno's successor at NYU Rusk, Dr. Rashbaum, may have support groups. I don't know if you would have to become a patient, get a TMS work-up before attending, but that would be a good way to go IMHO.

And there's a slew of TMS practitioners in NYC who may do group sessions, if cost is an issue many therapists do sliding scale:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  14. Susan1111

Dr Rauchbaum runs a series of two lectures to help you accept TMS they are quite expensive and not covered by insurance. Whether or not you need to have consulted with him first I don't know. He takes most insurance so an appointment with him won't break the bank.

My original response on this thread was merely to answer the poster advising that I too am in NYC and unaware of any groups.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  15. Stella

Stella Well known member

This site with it's 42 day program is awesome for providing incredible insight to who you really are and giving you the tools to manage symptoms in the future. And it is free!