1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Numbness, tingling, electric shocks, paresthesia, allydonia, small fiber neuropathy

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Sunrise, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Cincinnati_S

Cincinnati_S New Member

The Neurologist that did my biopsy was my 2nd opinion. I find it hard to believe that I developed neuropathy after 47 years in the middle of a week long panic attack....that would be the biggest coincidence of my life. The arm pain literally started after I had been crying for 20 minutes from panic.

I start with a TMS therapist next week. Will keep you posted and happy to answer any additional questions.

tgirl likes this.
  2. Sunrise

Sunrise Peer Supporter

It's all very hard to believe, nothing makes sense or is predictable. Doctors are useless. That's why we're here I suppose. I hope you find the answers and resolve the issue completely, at minimum, some relief.

I'm just grateful I had ~25 years without these problems. Some people develop conditions at a very young age and don't get to experience life to the fullest as a result.

3. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

@miffybunny knows what she is talking about.

Also, I would suggest Steve Ozanich's book "The Great Pain Deception." He had many of your symptoms....accelerated.

The main thing I've learned about TMS is that you CAN'T walk with a foot in both worlds. If the doctors haven't helped you, then trust that it's TMS and let go of the "diagnosis" and the "second opinions," etc. When you are still searching for a medical reason then your brain gets confused and provides you with more medical symptoms.

Tell yourself daily "I'm willing to believe this is 100% psychological."

miffybunny likes this.
  4. Sunrise

Sunrise Peer Supporter

Thank you for the suggestion. Just placed the order. Will check back in.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  5. Sunrise

Sunrise Peer Supporter

Can't help but feel that it's structural damage, as certain positions illicit extreme buzzing -> pins and needles -> numbness. I can't even cross my legs or sit down on the ground without the leg starting to buzz, then pins and needles and then numbness. If it's TMS - why do certain positions almost certainly guarantee sensations, while sitting/standing normally does not? :/

At the same time, I ran 30kM (18 miles) 2 days ago, no problem at all and weight trained 5 times in the last 7 days. Would someone with SFN be able to do this? I'm not sure.. On another note I am so thankful for coming across Sarno and this forum. Just reading that people have had similar experiences to me is encouraging. I just wish some of those users from years ago who checked in with the same symptoms and never came back still stuck around. I hope I can get through this and dedicate my spare time encouraging others in their recovery..

krk_mindbody likes this.
  6. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @Sunrise,

Everything you describe is classic TMS and "learned pain"....aka 'dynamic pain". Symptoms are "triggered" by certain movements or positions to which your brain has now developed conditioned responses. Your brain perceives these innocuous activities as "dangerous'. Symptoms are "inconsistent"....they come and go. If you had a broken leg for example, that would be "static pain" and would be there irrespective of these triggers and associations your brain has made. All sensations (including buzzing, tingling and numbness) are created by the brain and can be unlearned. The good news is that it's not a big deal at all and totally reversible.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    krk_mindbody and Boston Redsox like this.
  7. Sunrise

Sunrise Peer Supporter

That makes sense. Thank you for taking the time to explain, @miffybunny!

Boston Redsox likes this.
  8. scrapshat

scrapshat New Member

Sunrise,
    I too have experienced the foot pain and calf pain in both legs. 13 years of numbness and pain in both feet, top and bottom of foot. Gets worse at night laying in bed at night. Tingling, numbness, shooting pains, electric shocks, crawling skin feeling, feels like something is crawling just under the surface of my skin, burning, itching, sensitive to cold. Both calves extremely tight. No amount of stretching helps.

I am a firefighter which can be a stressful job. have seen a lot of "stuff" on the job that if you are a caring and sensitive person can affect you subconsciously. I have run the gamut of doctors and tests. Most recently, the Mayo Clinic. Nerve and muscle conduction tests were negative. Had a MRI, which I'm sure they will tell me I have spinal Stenosis and bad L-3 to L-5, because other doctors told me that years ago. One doctor asked me after looking at my MRI "are you sure you don't have back pain?" I almost laughed at him, because he wanted so bad for that to be his diagnosis! I had cured my debilitating back pain almost 30 years ago 30 minutes into reading Dr. Sarno's book. I got and understood the concept.

That said, and this gives me hope, several years ago I was doing the mind body thing at work. Out of the blue I felt this rush of blood and oxygen go down my legs, calves and to the tips of my toes. The pain was gone! There was this warmth from circulation in my legs and feet that I hadn't felt in years! In fact, I had forgotten what it felt like. I stood up and walked around and told myself "I did it!" Sadly after 5 minutes the pain and numbness returned. Frustrated? Yes. Discouraged? Yes. Angry? Yes.

I don't have the answers except that little bit of hope I shared with you. Sarno's ideas and methods work. I am anti-Doctor. They are clueless. We are responsible for us. I have no faith in the medical establishment. I think a lot of my anger and frustration stems from my wife believing the problem is in my back, affecting my nerves. Of course, I don't agree. I've been diagnosed with Stenosis, and bad L-3 to L-5. Naturally, my back doesn't hurt. I have cured every other pain except for the feet. I know it's not structural. I have proven that with my little episode at work.

I have been fighting this ongoing battle with my wife for years, because to her, everything is medical. Perhaps I am trying too hard to prove her wrong, then anger and frustration sets in when I don't get results. It's a viscious cycle that keeps us in that pain loop. I know I'm bad about writing my feelings and emotions down. Up to this point, it was easy getting rid of the other type of pains.

The foot pain, for me, was something totally out of the norm. And that's what the mind will do. It throws a curveball with the foot pain. All along we are fighting back or neck pain. Remember, the mind will move pain to different areas to keep us distracted. But foot pain!? Totally out of left field. And it more than likely scared us or frightened us because it was a pain we weren't expecting.

Hope this helps. After the Mayo Clinic, I'm not wasting anymore money on doctors. I'm going to get my "mind" right because, after all, the pain is "psychological, not physical." Repeat this phrase daily, over and over. It is the foundation of the great Dr. Sarno's work.

TG957 likes this.
  9. Sunrise

Sunrise Peer Supporter

Thank you for your encouraging post. My symptoms change daily as well. My mind latches onto one sensation until it is replaced by another. My feet were a big issue maybe ~2 months ago, but the sensations moved elsewhere (for now). I find when the cold weather comes around my feet start burning, but are cold to touch..

Bex1111 and TG957 like this.
  10. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I also are suffering from the same issues as you for the last 12 years with still no resolve if anything getting more pain and more consistent even back pain which I never had ...
    I keep telling myself I’m fine and mine on with my day .
    I took myself off all meds which did help at all ...my anxiety is pretty much gone but pain is three the roof everyday

11. Sunrise

Sunrise Peer Supporter

IF I was suffering for 12+ years I surely would have moved on from the "TMS" diagnosis.. What's the benefit of sticking around for so long if your pain is only getting worse? Sorry I'm just trying to understand your rationale

12. Boston Redsox

I am saying don’t quit

Dorado likes this.
  13. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Agreed.

14. Boston Redsox

Thx so much for the wake up call

Dorado likes this.
  15. Sunrise

Sunrise Peer Supporter

Just an update, my nerve issues seem to have subsided quite a bit (knock on wood!) but my tinnitus has flared up significantly and ear pressure (fluid?) is really bothering me. IBS too!

What a crazy cycle. I often wonder what 'normal' people feel like, I'm always hyperfocused on something. Nerve issues, bowel/bladder/pelvic issues, tinnitus, eye floaters, etc.

On the plus side, this helps reinforce the idea that a good portion of this is TMS.

16. Dorado

You are a normal person. Part of being a human is experiencing the mind-body connection. Some of us deal with it as different intensities than others, but it’s all the same, and it can be overcome!

17. Dorado

Never give up! It doesn’t matter how long one has had symptoms. We are all dealing with different situations, but we belong here nevertheless. Thinking about you!

18. Sunrise

Sunrise Peer Supporter

Thanks for taking the time to help people on this site. Your story has been referenced many times in our private conversations.

Dorado likes this.
  19. Dorado

I’m very happy to help and so glad my story has benefitted others - thank you for letting me know that. I’m here for support and truly believe everyone will have a success story. Your symptoms resonate with me because I’ve totally been there. Do you feel like you have a good support system around you? How are you feeling emotionally?

Sunrise likes this.
  20. Boston Redsox

Yes I have read it many times and it always brings me out of a bad way ...some days seem so dark and lonely ..It seems I will never lift this blanket of pain ..

But every morning I wake up with hope and go about my day knowing I am fine

Dorado likes this.