1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Not TMS, just wanna discuss and asking for tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by osca aelius, Apr 18, 2018.

1. osca aelius

osca aelius Peer Supporter

Hello all, i wanna discuss and ask something. So for all my life, I have noticed myself being so careless and miss or forget about mundane things, that caused me to be embarassed and blame myself, also feel guilty. However i realize its normal for a person to miss something or forget about mundane things from time to time. But i noticed myself to be easier missing mundane things that made me embarassed. What do i mean by mundane things? Like forget or leaving your keys on house, well thats still normal, i will find another example....., hm like when you bought a food already and place it below your class chair only to forget it that you already bought a food and leave the food after the class finished, and then realize it later or even i could forget it and buy new foods, only to realize it too late when my stomach is full and then feel guilty or ashamed for stupidly leaving my foods in the class.

However story like the above doesnt happen very often but i found myself did it more often than most people. Still remember during my junior high school when i suffer horribly from anxiety and dont know how to deal with it, every seconds feels so scary, i forgot i drove my motorcycle to school, and then go home with another transportation. As i came home, i play computer trying to distract my anxiety. Then my parents ask me where is the motorcycle, that is when im surprised and feel alarmed that i foolishly left my motorcycle in the school. My friend could still laugh about it on me until now though. In this event, i dont really blame myself because of anxiety, but i just want to tell about why i feel weird and feel bad for missing/forgetting mundane and obvious things. The story about my motorcycle and my food is an extreme cases, means i could forget about things that isnt so abnormal, and these extreme cases story happen very rarely. (I only ever leave my motorcycle once in a lifetime in my junior high school though, never happen again, or should i say i almost leave it for a second time maybe if i recall but i dont let it happen).

The funny thing is, events like the above could happen not only when im stressed or daydreaming, but when im overwhelmingly HAPPY, while being happy/overexcited , I could be doing something stupid and missing obvious things also. I think im at my focused self when im neither too stressed or too happy. Just like people says "dont make decisions when you are overwhelmed with your emotions". There are like so many stories i wanna tell that describe the conditions i experience but thats it. Im just tired feeling so stupid because i sometimes cant concentrate and act like overactive ADHD children who just lost his consciousness unintentionally. I tried mindfulness sometimes, dont know if it helps.

Any kind of advice is welcomed guys :)

2. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

You sound like a few people I know. Two are long time best friends, one is my son's 22 year old friend, and one is an 83 year old aunt. When they visit our place they always leave something behind. My aunt and one friend are always so busy talking they never really have their mind fully on anything but talking. The other two aren't always talking, but I guess they're daydreaming or something.
    What ever the reasons for their forgetting things, it's just their personality and it actually makes them endearing (and sometimes funny). They would lose some of their personality if they suddenly stopped leaving behind things. Although it's frustrating for my son's friend's mother, and perhaps yours, I wouldn't worry about it. It will just make you self conscious and perhaps anxious. Try to be mindful, maybe put a reminder in your phone not to forget you bought food for after class, and just be who you are. There's nothing wrong with forgetting things sometimes. It's normal.
    ps, I've also been married for 27 years and I have always told my husband that I'll never know when he gets dementia because he's always so forgetful anyways. We just laugh about it.

3. osca aelius

osca aelius Peer Supporter

Hello eileen
    Yes, just sometimes feel bad when i become unconscious. Like while crossing streets and knowing car will pass by but i just carelessly walk without looking on left and right, although i can hear the sound so i dont get into dangerous situation. Or when i left my motorcycle keys on the motor. Again it doesnt happen oftenly and pretty rare, but somehow i feel it happen to me a little more (just a little) frequent. And when that happen guilt and feeling of stupidity happened haha

4. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Such things sometimes happen to me when I am excited, anxious or in love. And maybe sometimes your mind forgets things semi-unconsciously, as if there is a purpose to it. Sometimes it gets me angry, but most of the time I smile about it and tell myself I am only human.

Time2be likes this.